Old 04-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Hongyi Zhao

Default Want to do some enhancements on the catfish.

Hi all,

AFAIK, mlocate is the most fast filename-based search tool for *nix;
OTOH, catfish can be set as its GUI.

The source for catfish can be got here:

http://www.twotoasts.de/media/catfish/catfish-0.3.2.tar.gz

But, in the current version of catfish, it has several shortcomings from
my points of view:

1- It uses find as the default backend search method.
2- Its default search folder is catfish, which is not the case for most
of us. I think the "File System" should be set the default search folder.
3- In my case, I use gnome with Debian squeeze, when I want to open the
folders in the searched results panel, the catfish always give me the
errors like this:

Error: Could not open the file /path/to/the/folder.

The tool is written in python, and the main program is the catfish.py
included in its source tar.gz. I've tried for a while to do the trick
but failed to get the results that I described above.

Could someone please do these enhancements or give me some hints on the
revision tips for its source to obtain meet my above requirements?
Thanks in advance.

Regards.
--

Hongyi Zhao<hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
Institute of Semiconductors, Chinese Academy of Sciences

Archive: 4DA1EFD7.4060205@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DA1EFD7.4060205@gmail.com

Old 04-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Hongyi Zhao

AFAIK, mlocate is the most fast filename-based search tool for *nix;
OTOH, catfish can be set as its GUI.

The source for catfish can be got here:

http://www.twotoasts.de/media/catfish/catfish-0.3.2.tar.gz

But, in the current version of catfish, it has several shortcomings from
my points of view:

1- It uses find as the default backend search method.

I want to use the mlocate as its default search method.