-   -   CD burning programs with verification (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/512066-cd-burning-programs-verification.html)

Jason Hsu 04-09-2011 04:15 PM

CD burning programs with verification

I'm looking for a program in the Debian repository that offers verification but with few dependencies. I use my own antiX-derived distro called Swift Linux (www.swiftlinux.org) as my main distro, but I dual boot with Puppy Linux. Puppy Linux comes standard with iso2cd and PBurn, but those applications are specific to Puppy Linux.

I don't like the GnomeBaker program that comes standard in antiX Linux and need a replacement. GnomeBaker doesn't offer a verification feature. I know that XFCE and KDE have their own CD burning programs, but those programs have lots of dependencies.

So what CD burning programs do you like that have verification and do NOT have lots of dependencies (like the XFCE and KDE tools)?

--
Jason Hsu <jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com>

David Sastre 04-09-2011 05:36 PM

On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 11:15:16AM -0500, Jason Hsu wrote:
> I'm looking for a program in the Debian repository that offers verification but with few dependencies. I use my own antiX-derived distro called Swift Linux (www.swiftlinux.org) as my main distro, but I dual boot with Puppy Linux. Puppy Linux comes standard with iso2cd and PBurn, but those applications are specific to Puppy Linux.
>
> I don't like the GnomeBaker program that comes standard in antiX Linux and need a replacement. GnomeBaker doesn't offer a verification feature. I know that XFCE and KDE have their own CD burning programs, but those programs have lots of dependencies.
>
> So what CD burning programs do you like that have verification and do NOT have lots of dependencies (like the XFCE and KDE tools)?

wodim + sha256sum

:)

--
Huella de clave primaria: 0FDA C36F F110 54F4 D42B D0EB 617D 396C 448B 31EB

Camaleón 04-09-2011 06:16 PM

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 11:15:16 -0500, Jason Hsu wrote:

> I'm looking for a program in the Debian repository that offers
> verification but with few dependencies.

(...)

It seems there are not many FLOSS GUI based burning tools out thereš. The
big and full featured ones (Brasero, K3B...) are binded to lots of
dependencies. The small alternatives (X-CD-Roast, graveman) are mostly
unmaintained... and I dunno for Nero Linux :-?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_optical_disc_authoring_software

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

"Dr. Ed Morbius" 04-09-2011 11:46 PM

on 11:15 Sat 09 Apr, Jason Hsu (jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com) wrote:
> I'm looking for a program in the Debian repository that offers
> verification but with few dependencies. I use my own antiX-derived
> distro called Swift Linux (www.swiftlinux.org) as my main distro, but
> I dual boot with Puppy Linux. Puppy Linux comes standard with iso2cd
> and PBurn, but those applications are specific to Puppy Linux.
>
> I don't like the GnomeBaker program that comes standard in antiX Linux
> and need a replacement. GnomeBaker doesn't offer a verification
> feature. I know that XFCE and KDE have their own CD burning
> programs, but those programs have lots of dependencies.
>
> So what CD burning programs do you like that have verification and do
> NOT have lots of dependencies (like the XFCE and KDE tools)?

K3B, though it doesn't satisfy your minimal deps requirement.

You can do your own md5sum / sha1sum verification using any command-line
utilities you choose. xcdroast + same works for me.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist / |
Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist | When you seek unlimited power

Andrew McGlashan 04-10-2011 06:27 AM

CD burning programs with verification

Hi Jason,

Jason Hsu wrote:

I'm looking for a program in the Debian repository that offers verification but with few dependencies. I use my own antiX-derived distro called Swift Linux (www.swiftlinux.org) as my main distro, but I dual boot with Puppy Linux. Puppy Linux comes standard with iso2cd and PBurn, but those applications are specific to Puppy Linux.

My thinking is that you want to write data to the disk and verify that
the data written matches when read back [a data integrity check].

Others don't seem to be seeing this as your requirement.

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP

Archive: 4DA14DDE.9010706@affinityvision.com.au">http://lists.debian.org/4DA14DDE.9010706@affinityvision.com.au

Kelly Clowers 04-10-2011 02:45 PM

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 10:36, David Sastre <d.sastre.medina@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 11:15:16AM -0500, Jason Hsu wrote:
>> I'm looking for a program in the Debian repository that offers verification but with few dependencies. *I use my own antiX-derived distro called Swift Linux (www.swiftlinux.org) as my main distro, but I dual boot with Puppy Linux. *Puppy Linux comes standard with iso2cd and PBurn, but those applications are specific to Puppy Linux.
>>
>> I don't like the GnomeBaker program that comes standard in antiX Linux and need a replacement. *GnomeBaker doesn't offer a verification feature. * *I know that XFCE and KDE have their own CD burning programs, but those programs have lots of dependencies.
>>
>> So what CD burning programs do you like that have verification and do NOT have lots of dependencies (like the XFCE and KDE tools)?
>
> wodim + sha256sum

I agree, this seems like the most straightforward way of doing it
(although for this purpose, md5 would probably be fine)

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers