FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-09-2011, 07:36 AM
Larry Wazny
 
Default obtaining copy of debian

I have been trying for the last hour to download a copy.* I have not used Linus for years, which was Redhat.* I get the parent directory which allows me to do nothing.* I have tried http and torrent and have never experienced such difficulty. No wonder windows is the most popular as I can download any software I need by one click.the-waz@rogers,com
 
Old 04-09-2011, 07:59 AM
Ron Johnson
 
Default obtaining copy of debian

On 04/09/2011 02:36 AM, Larry Wazny wrote:

I have been trying for the last hour to download a copy. I have not used Linus
for years, which was Redhat. I get the parent directory which allows me to do
nothing. I have tried http and torrent and have never experienced such
difficulty. No wonder windows is the most popular as I can download any software
I need by one click.the-waz@rogers,com



Since (a) you don't tell us how or from where you are downloading a copy
of what, and (b) even my non-geek wife and kids use Linux and easily and
successfully download stuff with one click...


I call you troll until such time as you read "How To Ask Questions The
Smart Way" (http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html) and try
again.


--
"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure
the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally
corrupt."
Samuel Adams, essay in The Public Advertiser, 1749


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4DA011FB.40808@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DA011FB.40808@cox.net
 
Old 04-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Davide Baldini
 
Default obtaining copy of debian

On 04/09/11 09:36, Larry Wazny wrote:

I have been trying for the last hour to download a copy. I have not
used Linus for years, which was Redhat. I get the parent directory which
allows me to do nothing. I have tried http and torrent and have never
experienced such difficulty. No wonder windows is the most popular as I
can download any software I need by one click.the-waz@rogers,com


It should be easier to try Redhat if you got used with that...
Anyway the following is the debian.org official download image.

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.1a/multi-arch/iso-cd/debian-6.0.1a-amd64-i386-netinst.iso


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: inpef1$ldn$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/inpef1$ldn$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 04-09-2011, 01:13 PM
John Hasler
 
Default obtaining copy of debian

Go to <http://www.debian.org/distrib/> and follow instructions.
Alternatively, go to <http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/>, choose a
vendor, and order a CD.

> No wonder windows is the most popular as I can download any software I
> need by one click.the-waz@rogers,com

You can download an installable copy of Windows 7 there?
--
John Hasler


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87hba7va89.fsf@thumper.dhh.gt.org">http://lists.debian.org/87hba7va89.fsf@thumper.dhh.gt.org
 
Old 04-09-2011, 11:44 PM
"Dr. Ed Morbius"
 
Default obtaining copy of debian

on 00:36 Sat 09 Apr, Larry Wazny (the-waz@rogers.com) wrote:
> I have been trying for the last hour to download a copy. I have not
> used Linus for years, which was Redhat. I get the parent directory
> which allows me to do nothing. I have tried http and torrent and have
> never experienced such difficulty. No wonder windows is the most
> popular as I can download any software
> I need by one click.the-waz@rogers,com

If you're going to use Linus, you might want to check with Tove first
for clearance.


If it's Linux you're after, you might want to tell us, say, what
hardware you've got, and what URLs you're attempting to use for
downloading the installer / image.


How hard is it to figure this out?

Lessee:

Debian -> http://www.debian.org/

Top of the page: "Getting Debian" -> http://www.debian.org/distrib/

First major heading: "Download a small installation image" ->
http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

This page is possibly a little confusing as you need to know your
system's CPU architecture. For any recent PC hardware, that's
"amd64" ->
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.1a/amd64/iso-cd/debian-6.0.1a-amd64-netinst.iso


Download that ISO, and burn it with any *IMAGE* (not file) burning
software. (I don't use Windows so I'm not familiar with what works there,
but IIRC "Nero" used to work, though I don't know if the native Windows
software does off the top. For Mac, the CD tool does just fine.

A quick Google search turns up a helpful page from CentOS:

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/CD_burning_howto.html


Other useful links would be the Debian GNU/Linux Installation Guide:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/


The Debian Documentation homepage is another good place to start looking
for help: http://www.debian.org/doc/

I'd particularly recommend the FAQ:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/


A bit of attitude adjustment might also be in order.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist / |
Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist | When you seek unlimited power
Krell Power Systems Unlimited | Go to Krell!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110409234431.GB7364@altaira.krellpowersys.exo">h ttp://lists.debian.org/20110409234431.GB7364@altaira.krellpowersys.exo
 
Old 04-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default obtaining copy of debian

On Sb, 09 apr 11, 16:44:31, Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:
>
> Download that ISO, and burn it with any *IMAGE* (not file) burning
> software. (I don't use Windows so I'm not familiar with what works there,
> but IIRC "Nero" used to work, though I don't know if the native Windows
> software does off the top. For Mac, the CD tool does just fine.
>
> A quick Google search turns up a helpful page from CentOS:
>
> http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/CD_burning_howto.html

Just for the archives:
http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#record-windows

Regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 04-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Whit Hansell
 
Default obtaining copy of debian

Re Windows and ISO's. 'Doze "don't do ISO's." IOW you can't use a
native Windows MS product to burn ISO's to CD. There is a free program
out there, can't remember the name, that you can use. Google is your
friend. Advise using the businesscard ISO as I had to do a 'Doze
download and burn to get my box back up and running and ran onto all the
probs of small errors in large ISO download. 'Course I was downloading
and installing Wheezy so that might have been the problem. But it's
doable. Good luck.


AND, I agree with the statement of attitude adjustment when asking for
help. 'nuff said, I hope.

Whit

On 04/09/2011 07:44 PM, Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:

on 00:36 Sat 09 Apr, Larry Wazny (the-waz@rogers.com) wrote:


I have been trying for the last hour to download a copy. I have not
used Linus for years, which was Redhat. I get the parent directory
which allows me to do nothing. I have tried http and torrent and have
never experienced such difficulty. No wonder windows is the most
popular as I can download any software
I need by one click.the-waz@rogers,com


If you're going to use Linus, you might want to check with Tove first
for clearance.


If it's Linux you're after, you might want to tell us, say, what
hardware you've got, and what URLs you're attempting to use for
downloading the installer / image.


How hard is it to figure this out?

Lessee:

Debian -> http://www.debian.org/

Top of the page: "Getting Debian" -> http://www.debian.org/distrib/

First major heading: "Download a small installation image" ->
http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

This page is possibly a little confusing as you need to know your
system's CPU architecture. For any recent PC hardware, that's
"amd64" ->
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.1a/amd64/iso-cd/debian-6.0.1a-amd64-netinst.iso


Download that ISO, and burn it with any *IMAGE* (not file) burning
software. (I don't use Windows so I'm not familiar with what works there,
but IIRC "Nero" used to work, though I don't know if the native Windows
software does off the top. For Mac, the CD tool does just fine.

A quick Google search turns up a helpful page from CentOS:

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/CD_burning_howto.html


Other useful links would be the Debian GNU/Linux Installation Guide:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/


The Debian Documentation homepage is another good place to start looking
for help: http://www.debian.org/doc/

I'd particularly recommend the FAQ:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/


A bit of attitude adjustment might also be in order.





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4DA192FA.3080100@comcast.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DA192FA.3080100@comcast.net
 
Old 04-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Rob Owens
 
Default obtaining copy of debian

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 07:22:34AM -0400, Whit Hansell wrote:
> Re Windows and ISO's. 'Doze "don't do ISO's." IOW you can't use a
> native Windows MS product to burn ISO's to CD. There is a free
> program out there, can't remember the name, that you can use.

It's infra recorder. I've used it before and it does burn ISOs.

-Rob


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110410122759.GA2347@aurora.owens.net">http://lists.debian.org/20110410122759.GA2347@aurora.owens.net
 
Old 04-10-2011, 01:24 PM
chris
 
Default obtaining copy of debian

another good free one is*http://cdburnerxp.se/

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 8:27 AM, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 07:22:34AM -0400, Whit Hansell wrote:

> Re Windows and ISO's. *'Doze *"don't do ISO's." *IOW you can't use a

> native Windows MS product to burn ISO's to CD. *There is a free

> program out there, can't remember the name, that you can use.



It's infra recorder. *I've used it before and it does burn ISOs.



-Rob





--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20110410122759.GA2347@aurora.owens.net
 
Old 04-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Kelly Clowers
 
Default obtaining copy of debian

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 05:27, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 07:22:34AM -0400, Whit Hansell wrote:
>> Re Windows and ISO's. *'Doze *"don't do ISO's." *IOW you can't use a
>> native Windows MS product to burn ISO's to CD. *There is a free
>> program out there, can't remember the name, that you can use.
>
> It's infra recorder. *I've used it before and it does burn ISOs.

Yeah, it's a good one, and one of the only Open Source recorders for
Windows.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTi)gW-XXQB0tMjFTz9mWfAtxqFpQ@mail.gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:14 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org