Old 04-09-2011, 05:43 AM
Arthur Marsh

Default Free PDF viewer that can search for text across line-breaks?

Hi, I'm running Debian unstable but don't have GNOME or KDE 4 installed.

Can anyone suggest a Free PDF viewer that can search for text phrases
that may be broken by a line break in the original PDF?

I've tried xpdf and evince-gtk and neither seem to offer that capability.

Arthur.

Archive: 6a8578-5tf.ln1@ppp121-45-136-118.lns11.adl6.internode.on.net">http://lists.debian.org/6a8578-5tf.ln1@ppp121-45-136-118.lns11.adl6.internode.on.net

Old 04-09-2011, 05:52 AM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Am Samstag, 9. April 2011 schrieb Arthur Marsh:
> Hi, I'm running Debian unstable but don't have GNOME or KDE 4 installed.
>
> Can anyone suggest a Free PDF viewer that can search for text phrases
> that may be broken by a line break in the original PDF?
>
> I've tried xpdf and evince-gtk and neither seem to offer that capability.
>
> Arthur.
Hello. Did you try kpdf?

Cheers

Hans

Old 04-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Sjoerd Hardeman

Op 09-04-11 07:52, Hans-J. Ullrich schreef:
> Am Samstag, 9. April 2011 schrieb Arthur Marsh:
>> Hi, I'm running Debian unstable but don't have GNOME or KDE 4 installed.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a Free PDF viewer that can search for text phrases
>> that may be broken by a line break in the original PDF?
>>
>> I've tried xpdf and evince-gtk and neither seem to offer that capability.
>>
>> Arthur.
> Hello. Did you try kpdf?
kpdf no longer exists. It's been replaced by okular.

Sjoerd

Old 04-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Brian

On Sat 09 Apr 2011 at 15:13:55 +0930, Arthur Marsh wrote:

> Hi, I'm running Debian unstable but don't have GNOME or KDE 4 installed.
>
> Can anyone suggest a Free PDF viewer that can search for text phrases
> that may be broken by a line break in the original PDF?

Mupdf can do it.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Arthur Marsh

Brian wrote, on 09/04/11 18:33:

On Sat 09 Apr 2011 at 15:13:55 +0930, Arthur Marsh wrote:

Hi, I'm running Debian unstable but don't have GNOME or KDE 4 installed.

Can anyone suggest a Free PDF viewer that can search for text phrases
that may be broken by a line break in the original PDF?

Mupdf can do it.

Thanks, the '/' command in mupdf 'just works' <tm>.

Is there any Free PDF viewer in Debian that works outside of GNOME/KDE
that can both search for text across line breaks and allows copying of
text from the PDF document to the clip-board?

Arthur.

Archive: s1s578-0pr.ln1@ppp121-45-136-118.lns11.adl6.internode.on.net">http://lists.debian.org/s1s578-0pr.ln1@ppp121-45-136-118.lns11.adl6.internode.on.net

Old 04-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Brian

On Sat 09 Apr 2011 at 20:50:55 +0930, Arthur Marsh wrote:

> Thanks, the '/' command in mupdf 'just works' <tm>.
>
> Is there any Free PDF viewer in Debian that works outside of GNOME/KDE
> that can both search for text across line breaks and allows copying of
> text from the PDF document to the clip-board?

Mupdf.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Arthur Marsh

Brian wrote, on 09/04/11 23:40:

On Sat 09 Apr 2011 at 20:50:55 +0930, Arthur Marsh wrote:

Thanks, the '/' command in mupdf 'just works'<tm>.

Is there any Free PDF viewer in Debian that works outside of GNOME/KDE
that can both search for text across line breaks and allows copying of
text from the PDF document to the clip-board?

Mupdf.

Thanks, right again. From the manual page:

Dragging with the right mouse button selects an area and copies the
enclosed text to the clipboard buffer.

Archive: rub678-754.ln1@ppp121-45-136-118.lns11.adl6.internode.on.net">http://lists.debian.org/rub678-754.ln1@ppp121-45-136-118.lns11.adl6.internode.on.net

Old 04-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Brian

On Sun 10 Apr 2011 at 01:22:21 +0930, Arthur Marsh wrote:

> Thanks, right again. From the manual page:
>
> Dragging with the right mouse button selects an area and copies the
> enclosed text to the clipboard buffer.

I generally just paste with the middle mouse button but Parcellite, with
Use Primary (Selection), is a nice clipboard utility.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Arthur Marsh

Brian wrote, on 10/04/11 01:39:

On Sun 10 Apr 2011 at 01:22:21 +0930, Arthur Marsh wrote:

Thanks, right again. From the manual page:

Dragging with the right mouse button selects an area and copies the
enclosed text to the clipboard buffer.

I generally just paste with the middle mouse button but Parcellite, with
Use Primary (Selection), is a nice clipboard utility.

I'm still running KDE 3.5.10, and if I try to select text with the right
mouse button, I can't access klipper while mupdf is still running /-:.

Arthur.

Archive: 73q678-jgg.ln1@ppp121-45-136-118.lns11.adl6.internode.on.net">http://lists.debian.org/73q678-jgg.ln1@ppp121-45-136-118.lns11.adl6.internode.on.net

Old 04-10-2011, 12:22 AM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 4:20 AM, Arthur Marsh <arthur.marsh@internode.on.net> wrote:

Is there any Free PDF viewer in Debian that works outside of GNOME/KDE that can both search for text across line breaks and allows copying of text from the PDF document to the clip-board?

Install pdfgrep and xclip. You can then do something like:

* pdfgrep 'foo.*bar' baz.pdf | xclip

Works for me.