Old 04-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Paul E Condon

Default (re-sent after a computer user malfunction)

----- Forwarded message from Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> -----

Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 20:51:59 -0600
From: Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: question about bind9 from a clueless paranoid

On 20110406_231619, Brian wrote:
> On Wed 06 Apr 2011 at 12:20:42 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
>
> > To do this usefully, I have to first figure out how to configure my newly
> > installed instance of BIND9. Correct? I don't think I'm there yet...
>
> If all you want to do is have named do lookups and cache the replies it
> works without changing the installed configuration, Forwarders can be
> designated in /etc/bind/named.conf.options.
>
> > This contains information that's new to me. You seem to be saying
> > that my copy of BIND on my computer is building its own internal
> > cache. I don't see any reason why it couldn't contain a cache, but I
> > haven't read anywhere that it actually *does* have a cache
> > internally. Does it contain a cache?
>
> The README.Debian mentions it. The cache kept in memory for a certain
> length of time. Run, for example, 'dig debian.net' twice and look at the
> Query Time. The second value should be close to 0 ms.

I did your suggested test.
First dig debian.net returned 736 ms.
Second and several more all returned 1 ms.
Then I restart bind9: # /etc/init.d/bind9 restart
and the first dig debian.net again gives many hundreds of millisec.

A very clean demonstration that bind9 running on my computer contains a
cache, and uses it.

Thanks. I have learned a lot.

--
Paul E Condon