Old 04-08-2011, 03:58 PM
"A E [Gmail]"

Default Custom Kernel - 32-bit or 64-bit?

Hello All,

I've made a first attempt at trying to change some config of the stock kernel for squeeze on sparc64. Went through the instructions found somewhere on the net and on the debian wiki, and have ended up with a kernel package.*

Command used was:*#> time nice fakeroot make-kpkg --subarch=sun4u --arch_in_name --revision=2.6.32-5-Cust001 --initrd kernel_image

Have ended up with a deb package called:*linux-image-2.6.32-sun4u_2.6.32-Cust001_sparc.deb

The question is, if I allowed it to slap on the arch in name automatically and it ended up calling it 'sparc', does that mean it's created a 32-bit kernel and not 64-bit as I'd have expected it to end with 'sparc64'.*

#> uname -m
sparc64

ThanksAEG

Old 04-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Stan Hoeppner

A E [Gmail] put forth on 4/8/2011 10:58 AM:

> #> time nice fakeroot make-kpkg --subarch=sun4u --arch_in_name
> --revision=2.6.32-5-Cust001 --initrd kernel_image

> The question is, if I allowed it to slap on the arch in name automatically
> and it ended up calling it 'sparc', does that mean it's created a 32-bit
> kernel and not 64-bit as I'd have expected it to end with 'sparc64'.

The package naming is irrelevant to the contents of the binary kernel
file you generated. It is simply a file name.

"--subarch=sun4u" dictates the resulting kernel binaries contain 64bit
UltraSPARC instructions, or "SPARC v9" instructions.

You have created a custom 64bit SPARC Linux kernel. The naming is
simply to remind you of what's in it when you look at that file a year
from now, especially amongst a group of 6 other similar kernels you've
created.

--
Stan