Old 04-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Roberto

Default SLAAC IPv6 only interface

Hi,

I'm trying (as a lab exercise) to set an interface to activate only with
SLAAC IPv6 address. No IPv4, no static, no dhcp. Problem is I can't find
a configuration that makes the interface to startup without static or
dynamic (dhcp) configurations.

What I've tried is something like

auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet6 dhcp

instead of dhcp, Ive tried dhcp6, dhcpv6, slaac, but to no avail. Does
somebody know how to make this work?

I know the network is working. If I force the interface up with
'ifconfig eth0 up', the interface does start, and it gets the IPv6
address via slaac after a couple of seconds. But I can't find out what
to put in the interfaces file to make it start automatically, without
having any IPv4 address.

Any ideas?

Tks,

Roberto

Marcos Roberto Greiner

Os otimistas acham que estamos no melhor dos mundos
Os pessimistas tem medo de que isto seja verdade
James Branch Cabell

Archive: 4D9F237E.6050105@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D9F237E.6050105@gmail.com

Old 04-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011, Roberto wrote:
> with SLAAC IPv6 address. No IPv4, no static, no dhcp. Problem is I
> can't find a configuration that makes the interface to startup
> without static or dynamic (dhcp) configurations.

1. Do not hijack threads.

2. Use the manual method.

auto foo
iface foo inet manual