Old 04-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Bjorn Wesen

Default debian testing: upgrade latest few days => nautilus freezes entire desktop when changing directories for a few seconds

Hi,

perhaps I shouldn't run testing and not expect problems but anyway I
do and I wanted to ask if anyone else noticed something like this:

After yesterdays restart of Xorg, the file-manager in gnome (nautilus)
completely freezes the desktop for a few seconds every time I click to
change a directory. Clicking on files to open them works fine.

When the desktop freezes the output of all other windows freeze as
well as the mouse-cursor. A "top" running in one terminal shows (after
its display comes back) a 100% Xorg CPU usage or something similar.

Nothing in any logs and everything else works fine (including
file-requesters from other programs). This is what is most strange!

In conjunction with the Xorg-restart I had updated the binary nvidia
drivers from 260.19.21 to 260.19.44, but I downgraded this again and
that didn't help.

I can go through the painstaking job of checking all testing-packages
I upgraded the last few days, but thought I'd ask first!

Best regards,
/Bjorn

Old 04-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Gilbert Sullivan

After yesterdays restart of Xorg, the file-manager in gnome (nautilus)
completely freezes the desktop for a few seconds every time I click to
change a directory. Clicking on files to open them works fine.

When the desktop freezes the output of all other windows freeze as
well as the mouse-cursor. A "top" running in one terminal shows (after
its display comes back) a 100% Xorg CPU usage or something similar.

Nothing in any logs and everything else works fine (including
file-requesters from other programs). This is what is most strange!

In conjunction with the Xorg-restart I had updated the binary nvidia
drivers from 260.19.21 to 260.19.44, but I downgraded this again and
that didn't help.

This won't be directly helpful to you, but I thought I'd comment just in
the hope of providing a little context.

I run testing on several machines with Nvidia video cards and have not
seen this issue on any of them. However, I'm using the nouveau driver,
and my DE is Xfce 4.6.2, two points of departure from your system.

Regards,
Gilbert

Archive: 4D9EFA77.208@comcast.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D9EFA77.208@comcast.net

Old 04-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Liam O'Toole

On 2011-04-08, Bjorn Wesen <bjorn.wesen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> perhaps I shouldn't run testing and not expect problems but anyway I
> do and I wanted to ask if anyone else noticed something like this:
>
> After yesterdays restart of Xorg, the file-manager in gnome (nautilus)
> completely freezes the desktop for a few seconds every time I click to
> change a directory. Clicking on files to open them works fine.
>
> When the desktop freezes the output of all other windows freeze as
> well as the mouse-cursor. A "top" running in one terminal shows (after
> its display comes back) a 100% Xorg CPU usage or something similar.
>
> Nothing in any logs and everything else works fine (including
> file-requesters from other programs). This is what is most strange!
>
> In conjunction with the Xorg-restart I had updated the binary nvidia
> drivers from 260.19.21 to 260.19.44, but I downgraded this again and
> that didn't help.
>
> I can go through the painstaking job of checking all testing-packages
> I upgraded the last few days, but thought I'd ask first!
>
> Best regards,
> /Bjorn

No such problems here (GNOME, up-to-date testing, intel video).

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

Old 04-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 12:16:42 +0200, Bjorn Wesen wrote:

> perhaps I shouldn't run testing and not expect problems but anyway I do
> and I wanted to ask if anyone else noticed something like this:
>
> After yesterdays restart of Xorg, the file-manager in gnome (nautilus)
> completely freezes the desktop for a few seconds every time I click to
> change a directory. Clicking on files to open them works fine.

I have no problem with "testing" and gnome.

> When the desktop freezes the output of all other windows freeze as well
> as the mouse-cursor. A "top" running in one terminal shows (after its
> display comes back) a 100% Xorg CPU usage or something similar.
>
> Nothing in any logs and everything else works fine (including
> file-requesters from other programs). This is what is most strange!
>
> In conjunction with the Xorg-restart I had updated the binary nvidia
> drivers from 260.19.21 to 260.19.44, but I downgraded this again and
> that didn't help.
>
> I can go through the painstaking job of checking all testing-packages I
> upgraded the last few days, but thought I'd ask first!

Create a fresh-new user and login from there. If you can still reproduce
the freeze you can also try with "nouveau" driver and check if that makes
any difference.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón