Old 02-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Jan Willem Stumpel

Default Icedove news

I recently started using Icedove for mail & news (until now, I
only used Iceape or a hacked Fedora Seamonkey version).

I have some problems with "news". I have subscribed to a few
newsgroups offered by the news server at my ISP (news.planet.nl).

Each time I click on a newsgroup (say, alt.html) a window pops up
asking if I want to subscribe to this newsgroup (to which I am
already subscribed). If I say "yes", a side-effect is that in the
"newsrc" file (in my case ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/default.lgh/News/
newsrc-news.planet.nl) a new line is created for this newsgroup.
The newsrc file therefore tends to grow without bounds, with many
duplicate lines.

Also, and because of this, it is impossible to unsubscribe from
newsgroups. If I try to unsubscribe, the number of duplicate lines
for this group in the newsrc is diminished by one. But as there
are still many left, the next time I start icedove I am still
subscribed to that group.

Do other list members also get these "do you want to subscribe"
popups when using icedove for news?

Regards, Jan

Old 02-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
[...]

I have that behavior with the qt-interest mailing list to which I am
already subscribed. But every time I open that it asks me if I want to
subscribe.

Hugo

Old 02-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Ralph Katz

On 02/09/2008 07:31 AM, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> I recently started using Icedove for mail & news (until now, I only used
> Iceape or a hacked Fedora Seamonkey version).
>
> I have some problems with "news". I have subscribed to a few
> newsgroups offered by the news server at my ISP (news.planet.nl).
>
> Each time I click on a newsgroup (say, alt.html) a window pops up
> asking if I want to subscribe to this newsgroup (to which I am
> already subscribed). If I say "yes", a side-effect is that in the
> "newsrc" file (in my case ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/default.lgh/News/
> newsrc-news.planet.nl) a new line is created for this newsgroup.
> The newsrc file therefore tends to grow without bounds, with many
> duplicate lines.
>
> Also, and because of this, it is impossible to unsubscribe from
> newsgroups. If I try to unsubscribe, the number of duplicate lines for
> this group in the newsrc is diminished by one. But as there are still
> many left, the next time I start icedove I am still subscribed to that
> group.
>
> Do other list members also get these "do you want to subscribe" popups
> when using icedove for news?
>
> Regards, Jan

Hi Jan -- No. On up-to-date Etch, using icedove version 1.5.0.14pre
(20071018), there is no problem here. You could close icedove, move
your ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/default.lgh/News/ out of the way, and let
icedove rebuild it upon restart. Then re-subscribe to your groups.
I've never had your particular problem, but this solution has worked for
re-setting subscriptions and message-read data for me before on earlier
versions of thunderbird.

Regards,
Ralph

Old 02-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Jan Willem Stumpel

Hi Jan -- No. On up-to-date Etch, using icedove version 1.5.0.14pre
(20071018), there is no problem here. You could close icedove, move
your ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/default.lgh/News/ out of the way, and
let icedove rebuild it upon restart. Then re-subscribe to your
groups. I've never had your particular problem, but this solution has
worked for re-setting subscriptions and message-read data for me
before on earlier versions of thunderbird.

Thanks. This seems to have done it. I renamed the whole
~/.mozilla-thunderbird to ~/.mozilla-thunderbird-old, then dpkg
--purge'd mozilla-thunderbird, thunderbird, and icedove, then
re-installed icedove. It proceeded to import settings (from where, I
cannot guess); but anyway it works now, and the pop-ups no longer occur.
Only the font of the messages had changed, but that could be fixed easily.

Thanks again, Jan