Old 04-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Klistvud

Default Printer in Gnome loathes being enabled

Howdie, fellow Debianites!

From time to time, out of nowhere, my printer refuses to print. When I
check it via 'System/Administration/Printing/right-click menu on
printer icon', I see that the menu item 'Enabled' is not ticked. I tick
it, I get assed for the root password, and then it starts to print.
Some hours, even days, pass peacefully ... and then it refuses to print
again.

As much as I hate this, I could learn to live with it: but what
*really* posix me off is the root password it keeps asking! I've made
all the users members of the lp and lpadmin groups --to no avail.
Everytime this happens, the stubborn machine wants the root password
again! Just to enable a printer (that has been enabled tens of times
anyway)!

What am I doing wrong?

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Tixy

On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 01:11 +0200, Klistvud wrote:
> From time to time, out of nowhere, my printer refuses to print. When I
> check it via 'System/Administration/Printing/right-click menu on
> printer icon', I see that the menu item 'Enabled' is not ticked.
[...]

I had a problem like this when queueing a print job before turning on
the printer. I believe it gets put into the disabled state if there is
any sort of error. I fixed this by adding "beh:/0/0/2/" before the
Device URI in Printer Properties. See
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/database/backenderrorhandler

--
Tixy () The ASCII Ribbon Campaign (www.asciiribbon.org)
/ Against HTML e-mail and proprietary attachments

Old 04-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Klistvud

Dne, 08. 04. 2011 09:49:50 je Tixy napisal(a):

On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 01:11 +0200, Klistvud wrote:
> From time to time, out of nowhere, my printer refuses to print.
When I

> check it via 'System/Administration/Printing/right-click menu on
> printer icon', I see that the menu item 'Enabled' is not ticked.
[...]

I had a problem like this when queueing a print job before turning on
the printer. I believe it gets put into the disabled state if there is
any sort of error. I fixed this by adding "beh:/0/0/2/" before the
Device URI in Printer Properties. See
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/database/backenderrorhandler

--
Tixy () The ASCII Ribbon Campaign (www.asciiribbon.org)
/ Against HTML e-mail and proprietary attachments

Thanx. I hope it'll work for me to ...

Old 04-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 01:11:37 +0200, Klistvud wrote:

> From time to time, out of nowhere, my printer refuses to print. When I
> check it via 'System/Administration/Printing/right-click menu on printer
> icon', I see that the menu item 'Enabled' is not ticked. I tick it, I
> get assed for the root password, and then it starts to print. Some
> hours, even days, pass peacefully ... and then it refuses to print
> again.

(...)

In the line of Tixy's answer, CUPS printers can be configured to perform
an action on events using "Rules" which means that you can define a
policy when the printer encounters any kind of error. Default action is
"stop-printer" but there are also "abort-job" and "retry-job" actions.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón