Old 04-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Benjamí Villoslada

Default Downgrading Udev

A Dimecres 06 Abril 2011 16:30:08, Wolodja Wentland va escriure:
> I assume that you are actually trying to fix a different bug, namely one
> introduced by the premature installation of base-files 6.2 which created
> the /run directory. The fastest fix is probably to just remove /run and be
> done with it.

Yes, that is!

Removing /run the system works fine again.

I take note of snapshot.debian.org.

Thanks to all,

--
Benjamí
http://blog.bitassa.cat

Old 04-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Roger Leigh

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 03:37:11PM +0100, Wolodja Wentland wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 15:20 +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 04:13:36PM +0200, BenjamÃ* Villoslada wrote:
> > > Last Udev version have an important error:
> > > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=621087
> > >
> > > Where can I find and download the previous 166 version?
> >
> > http://snapshot.debian.org/package/udev/166-1/
> >
> > Note that downgrading base-files (which removes /run) will
> > also do the same job:
> >
> > http://snapshot.debian.org/package/base-files/6.1/
>
> Just downgrading base-files to 6.1 did unfortunately not work for me because
> /run was not removed due to being "not empty" and I had to remove it manually.
>
> Good to see you here Roger. I handled the bug by downgrading udev, libudev,
> libgudev-1.0-0 to 166-1 and base-files to 6.1, but am not sure if that is
> actually the best way to deal with it. I guess that the underlying problem
> (initscripts) has to be solved first and that base-files 6.2 (6.3 / 6.2-1?)
> should have a versioned dependency on the not yet uploaded initscripts
> version. I am therefore unsure if a downgrade of udev is actually a good idea,
> advisable or necessary, but it seems to me as if the init script of udev is
> buggy in that it does not fall back to /dev if /run is not writable.
>
> What would be, in your opinion, to be the best way to deal with it?

For the present, I think what you've done is fine. The real fault here
is that the init script for udev is buggy, but this wan't triggered
until the base-files update introduced /run.

The solution is for udev to fix that bug, and then when initscripts
is updated to set up /run correctly, udev can then add a versioned
dependency on initscripts and start using /run.

Hopefully this will be fixed quickly. It's just a matter of the udev
maintainer uploading a fixed package which doesn't use /run, and then
the initscripts maintainer uploading a package which sets up /run.
Once that's done, we can all start using /run (with a versioned
initscripts dependency, to allow squeeze→wheezy upgrades to work).

Regards,
Roger

--
.'`. Roger Leigh

Old 04-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 06 Apr 2011, Benjamí Villoslada wrote:
> A Dimecres 06 Abril 2011 16:30:08, Wolodja Wentland va escriure:
> > I assume that you are actually trying to fix a different bug, namely one
> > introduced by the premature installation of base-files 6.2 which created
> > the /run directory. The fastest fix is probably to just remove /run and be
> > done with it.
>
> Yes, that is!
>
> Removing /run the system works fine again.
>
> I take note of snapshot.debian.org.
>
> Thanks to all,
>
> --
> Benjamí
> http://blog.bitassa.cat

After an upgrade today to base-files 6.3 I rashly assume things would be
fixed, but not so. My /run is no longer there but now the 2.6.38 kernels
won't boot - they stop at the nouveau driver. Luckily I still had a
2.6.37 kernel which isn't affected.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 04-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 08 Apr 2011, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> After an upgrade today to base-files 6.3 I rashly assume things would be
> fixed, but not so. My /run is no longer there but now the 2.6.38 kernels
> won't boot - they stop at the nouveau driver. Luckily I still had a
> 2.6.37 kernel which isn't affected.
>
> Anthony

Apologies for following up to myself, but I thought I should say that
when I added /run myself the 2.6.38 kernel booted without problems.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 04-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Andrej Kacian

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 11:44:17 +0100
Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:

>On 08 Apr 2011, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>>
>> After an upgrade today to base-files 6.3 I rashly assume things would be
>> fixed, but not so. My /run is no longer there but now the 2.6.38 kernels
>> won't boot - they stop at the nouveau driver. Luckily I still had a
>> 2.6.37 kernel which isn't affected.
>>
>> Anthony
>>

>Apologies for following up to myself, but I thought I should say that
>when I added /run myself the 2.6.38 kernel booted without problems.

So... is this udev167-1 safe to upgrade to on Wheezy (base-files 6.1), or
should I wait?

--
Andrej Kacian

Old 04-11-2011, 02:03 AM
Johan Kullstam

Andrej Kacian <andrej+debian@kacian.sk> writes:

> On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 11:44:17 +0100
> Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>On 08 Apr 2011, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>>>
>>> After an upgrade today to base-files 6.3 I rashly assume things would be
>>> fixed, but not so. My /run is no longer there but now the 2.6.38 kernels
>>> won't boot - they stop at the nouveau driver. Luckily I still had a
>>> 2.6.37 kernel which isn't affected.
>>>
>>> Anthony
>>>

>>Apologies for following up to myself, but I thought I should say that
>>when I added /run myself the 2.6.38 kernel booted without problems.
>
> So... is this udev167-1 safe to upgrade to on Wheezy (base-files 6.1), or
> should I wait?

You can safely upgrade both base-files and udev. Just make sure you
delete the "/run" directory before any reboot.

--
Johan KULLSTAM

Old 04-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Andrej Kacian

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 22:03:36 -0400
Johan Kullstam <kullstj_ml@verizon.net> wrote:

>>>Apologies for following up to myself, but I thought I should say that
>>>when I added /run myself the 2.6.38 kernel booted without problems.
>>
>> So... is this udev167-1 safe to upgrade to on Wheezy (base-files 6.1), or
>> should I wait?
>
>You can safely upgrade both base-files and udev. Just make sure you
>delete the "/run" directory before any reboot.

Hm, thanks for the concise info, but I wouldn't call that "safe". I think
I'll wait until this gets fixed, eventually.

--
Andrej Kacian

Old 04-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Wayne Topa

Apologies for following up to myself, but I thought I should say that
when I added /run myself the 2.6.38 kernel booted without problems.

So... is this udev167-1 safe to upgrade to on Wheezy (base-files 6.1), or
should I wait?

You can safely upgrade both base-files and udev. Just make sure you
delete the "/run" directory before any reboot.

Hm, thanks for the concise info, but I wouldn't call that "safe". I think
I'll wait until this gets fixed, eventually.

FYI

Sid daily upgrade installed udev 167-2 this morning. No /run dir was
created when I restarted udev.

base-files version is 6.3 which was upgraded on Apr 10.

WT