Old 12-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Default gnome 3

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 11:09:59 -0600,
Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > You can force fallback mode which will work pretty similar to how things
> > worked in gnome 2.
>
> That's only delaying the inevitable. The fall back will go away once the
> LLVMpipe driver goes in to Fedora 17 or 18.

That's still a lot of time that one can put off the switch. It may be that
there will be extensions which will help some of the people that prefer
gnome 2 currently.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Steven Stern

On 12/08/2011 09:18 AM, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As many user probably, I prefer the version of gnome 2.x (like the
> one running with fedora 14) to gnome 3. Is there any option to keep
> the previous version of gnome runing with the more recent versions of
> fedora?
>
> Thank.

Nope. But it's getting better with each dot point revision. I've
switched to XFCE with avant-window-navigator to provide a dock, but I
log back into Gnome 3 from time to time to see if I can wrap my mind
around it.

--
-- Steve

Old 12-08-2011, 08:22 PM
"Lars E. Pettersson"

On 12/08/2011 04:18 PM, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> one running with fedora 14) to gnome 3. Is there any option to keep
> the previous version of gnome runing with the more recent versions of
> fedora?

You could get a Gnome2-like version by doing this in Gnome3 shell:

- click on your name in the top right corner
- chose "System Settings"
- chose "System Info"
- chose "Graphics"
- set "Forced Fallback Mode" to "ON"

This will give you Gnome3 with metacity, that is quite close to Gnome2.
To add things to the panel, press ALT-key, and hold, and the right-click
(took a while for me to find this...)

I tried Gnome3 with compiz, but could not add things to the panel there
(I did not try that hard though).

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars@homer.se>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/

Old 12-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 15:18 +0000, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As many user probably, I prefer the version of gnome 2.x (like the
> one running with fedora 14) to gnome 3. Is there any option to keep
> the previous version of gnome runing with the more recent versions of
> fedora?
>
> Thank.

You can go to:
System Settings->System Info ->graphics
and force fallback mode. This will work a lot like Gnome 2.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:30 PM
"Lars E. Pettersson"

On 12/08/2011 06:09 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> That's only delaying the inevitable. The fall back will go away once the
> LLVMpipe driver goes in to Fedora 17 or 18.

According to Vincent Untz <https://live.gnome.org/VincentUntz> the
fall-back mode will be there during the whole Gnome3 life cycle, see
<http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/2011/04/13/gnome-panel-is-dead,-long-live-gnome-panel!>

Lars

Old 12-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Frantisek Hanzlik

Patrick Dupre napsal(a):
> Hello,
>
> As many user probably, I prefer the version of gnome 2.x (like the
> one running with fedora 14) to gnome 3. Is there any option to keep
> the previous version of gnome runing with the more recent versions of
> fedora?
>
> Thank.

Nice solution had when Gnome3 leave Fedora entirely (or at least
was not default DE), and default DE would be MATE or Xfce.
Hope as early as in F17.

Franta

Old 12-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Alan Cox

On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 11:31:17 -0500
Chad Kellerman <sunckell@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 15:18:59 +0000,
> > Patrick Dupre <patrick.dupre@york.ac.uk> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > As many user probably, I prefer the version of gnome 2.x (like the
> > > one running with fedora 14) to gnome 3. Is there any option to keep
> > > the previous version of gnome runing with the more recent versions of
> > > fedora?
> >
> > You can force fallback mode which will work pretty similar to how things
> > worked in gnome 2.
> > --
> >

> Or you can try different Extensions to get your desired gnome 2 "feel"
>
> https://extensions.gnome.org/
>
> You may not be able to get it exact. But you can get it close. There are
> other extensions, developed by other distros, that get that gnome 2 feel as
> well.

It depends how close you want it

If you skip F15 (which isn't a bad idea) then Gnome 3.2 + the extensions
Fedora has and which can be installed + gnome-tweak-tool) allows you to
set up a Gnome 3 environment where the file manager manages the desktop
as before, there is an applications menu and a dock on the right side.
3.2 has also fixed some of the worst "duh!.." issues of 3.0

For a laptop type display with those set and the dock turned on its quite
nice. On a bigger display it has the general problem that you can't bring
up an application menu by right clicking randomly on the blank desktop
but Gnome 2 had that also.

Some of the other extensions also fix various other window tab selection
stuff back to 'sane' behaviour.

It's not perfect - it's got its own new set of stupidities but 3.2 is
probably no more irritating than gnome 2.2 was now. It's better in places
and worse in others.

Just needs window shading to work and it might be heading vaguely towards
the level of XFCE