-   -   Ubuntu Versions (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/510487-ubuntu-versions.html)

Ron Johnson 04-05-2011 11:15 PM

Ubuntu Versions

On 04/05/2011 05:37 PM, Mark wrote:
[snip]

upgrading. For all its flaws, one nice thing about Windows is that it
has a 10-year (14-year for XP) support cycle, so while there may be
service packs, etc., to the end user, the interface is virtually the
same for 10 years. I realize that not upgrading/getting more
goodies/etc. is not the preference of most people on the list, but for
some Debian users it might be. It's an "if it ain't broke, don't fix
it" type thing.

You need to mention that to GNOME. Not that they'd list. "We're the
experts. We know best."

corrupt."

Archive: 4D9BA28E.5040703@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D9BA28E.5040703@cox.net

Freeman 04-06-2011 12:11 AM

Ubuntu Versions

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 06:15:26PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 04/05/2011 05:37 PM, Mark wrote:
> [snip]
> >upgrading. For all its flaws, one nice thing about Windows is that it
> >has a 10-year (14-year for XP) support cycle, so while there may be
> >service packs, etc., to the end user, the interface is virtually the
> >same for 10 years. I realize that not upgrading/getting more
> >goodies/etc. is not the preference of most people on the list, but for
> >some Debian users it might be. It's an "if it ain't broke, don't fix
> >it" type thing.
> >

> You need to mention that to GNOME. Not that they'd list. "We're
> the experts. We know best."

I installed the gnome-shell package a year or so ago and have yet to look at
it.

It wants upgraded in experimental but that isn't going to happen from my now
stable system.

I may be switching to Openbox when the time comes.

Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody

Hal Vaughan 04-06-2011 05:40 AM

Ubuntu Versions

On Apr 5, 2011, at 7:15 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 04/05/2011 05:37 PM, Mark wrote:
> [snip]
>> upgrading. For all its flaws, one nice thing about Windows is that it
>> has a 10-year (14-year for XP) support cycle, so while there may be
>> service packs, etc., to the end user, the interface is virtually the
>> same for 10 years. I realize that not upgrading/getting more
>> goodies/etc. is not the preference of most people on the list, but for
>> some Debian users it might be. It's an "if it ain't broke, don't fix
>> it" type thing.
>>

> You need to mention that to GNOME. Not that they'd list. "We're the experts. We know best."

That's pretty much why I stopped filing bug reports or issues with almost all FOSS. Too many devs are like that -- too busy being right to listen (and more interested in clearing the bug report than in fixing it).

And I say that as someone who retired early because his work as a developer/programmer did what it needed to and made his clients happy and someone who has contributed code to FOSS projects and released some of his own FOSS projects.

Hal

Rob Owens 04-06-2011 11:21 PM

Ubuntu Versions

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 06:15:26PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 04/05/2011 05:37 PM, Mark wrote:
> [snip]
> >upgrading. For all its flaws, one nice thing about Windows is that it
> >has a 10-year (14-year for XP) support cycle, so while there may be
> >service packs, etc., to the end user, the interface is virtually the
> >same for 10 years. I realize that not upgrading/getting more
> >goodies/etc. is not the preference of most people on the list, but for
> >some Debian users it might be. It's an "if it ain't broke, don't fix
> >it" type thing.
> >

> You need to mention that to GNOME. Not that they'd list. "We're
> the experts. We know best."

If you really want a consistent user interface, you might consider
looking at one of the non-mainstream window managers. I use fluxbox,
and the latest release changed a couple minor things but I was able to
put things back "the old way" with a config file tweak. Openbox is
another you might consider looking into. You can add fbpanel to either
of these, giving them a "traditional" applications menu and taskbar.

Don't forget that XP only had such a long support period because its
replacement was widely regarded as horrible.

-Rob

Ron Johnson 04-06-2011 11:58 PM

Ubuntu Versions

On 04/06/2011 06:39 PM, Tom H wrote:

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Rob Owens<rowens@ptd.net> wrote:

With Ubuntu (I believe) you get "5 years for a server" and "3 years for
a desktop" if you go with an LTS release. What packages are server
packages and what ones are desktop packages? I don't know. It would be
nice to see a list somewhere.

Server = X-less so WM-less, DE-less, GUI-less

How exactly is an X-less Ubuntu different than Debian Stable?

corrupt."

Archive: 4D9CFE31.1080106@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D9CFE31.1080106@cox.net

Jerome BENOIT 04-07-2011 12:08 AM

Ubuntu Versions

Hello,

On 07/04/11 01:58, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 04/06/2011 06:39 PM, Tom H wrote:

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Rob Owens<rowens@ptd.net> wrote:

With Ubuntu (I believe) you get "5 years for a server" and "3 years for
a desktop" if you go with an LTS release. What packages are server
packages and what ones are desktop packages? I don't know. It would be
nice to see a list somewhere.

Server = X-less so WM-less, DE-less, GUI-less

How exactly is an X-less Ubuntu different than Debian Stable?

As Ubuntu can run without X stuff, Debian can run without it as any other Un*x distribution.

An X-less Debian stable may be more stable (solid rock) than an X-less Ubuntu,
in that way an X-less is more appropriate for a server.

Jerome

Archive: 4D9D009A.5030502@rezozer.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D9D009A.5030502@rezozer.net

Tom H 04-07-2011 10:19 AM

Ubuntu Versions

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 7:58 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 04/06/2011 06:39 PM, Tom H wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Rob Owens<rowens@ptd.net> *wrote:
>>>
>>> With Ubuntu (I believe) you get "5 years for a server" and "3 years for
>>> a desktop" if you go with an LTS release. What packages are server
>>> packages and what ones are desktop packages? I don't know. It would be
>>> nice to see a list somewhere.
>>
>> Server = X-less so WM-less, DE-less, GUI-less
>
> How exactly is an X-less Ubuntu different than Debian Stable?

Although I only have X-less Debian installs, I'm pretty sure that
there are many who install Debian with a DE...

Now that Squeeze has been published, I suspect that there isn't much
of a difference between it and Lucid (except for plymouth and
upstart).