Old 04-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Charlie

Default Aptitude and apt-get curiosity.....

Trying to satisfy a curiosity.

I upgrade my Debian Wheezy system with aptitude and it upgrades all but
one application file.

Redo: "aptitude update" and it shows that file hangs around for
several days and doesn't get upgraded when I do aptitude
"safe-upgrade" after "aptitude update" each time day after day.

So I do apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and the file is upgraded.

Why does aptitude just ignore it again and again and apt-get upgrade it?

In case it helps this was the latest that aptitude wouldn't touch but
apt-get upgraded: librsvg2-bin

This has happened on a few occasions over time and I just wondered
about it?

Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

Every day is a special day, every place is a special place as it is.
---BERNIE GLASSMAN

Old 04-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 08:35:08 +1000, Charlie wrote:

> Trying to satisfy a curiosity.
>
> I upgrade my Debian Wheezy system with aptitude and it upgrades all but
> one application file.
>
> Redo: "aptitude update" and it shows that file hangs around for several
> days and doesn't get upgraded when I do aptitude "safe-upgrade" after
> "aptitude update" each time day after day.
>
> So I do apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and the file is upgraded.
>
> Why does aptitude just ignore it again and again and apt-get upgrade it?

(...)

Hum... maybe "aptitude why-not <package>" would have provided additional
information. Or looking at aptitude logs or increasing aptitude log
level... :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Charlie

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 14:50:43 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 08:35:08 +1000, Charlie wrote:
>
> > Trying to satisfy a curiosity.
> >
> > I upgrade my Debian Wheezy system with aptitude and it upgrades all
> > but one application file.
> >
> > Redo: "aptitude update" and it shows that file hangs around for
> > several days and doesn't get upgraded when I do aptitude
> > "safe-upgrade" after "aptitude update" each time day after day.
> >
> > So I do apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and the file is upgraded.
> >
> > Why does aptitude just ignore it again and again and apt-get
> > upgrade it?
>
> (...)
>
> Hum... maybe "aptitude why-not <package>" would have provided
> additional information. Or looking at aptitude logs or increasing
> aptitude log level... :-?
>
> Greetings,

Thank you, I will try that next time and see what comes up.

Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

Consciousness is in the first place not a matter of "I think" but of "I
can." ---------MAURICE MERLEAU-PONTY

Old 04-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Aaron Toponce

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 08:35:08AM +1000, Charlie wrote:
> I upgrade my Debian Wheezy system with aptitude and it upgrades all but
> one application file.
>
> Redo: "aptitude update" and it shows that file hangs around for
> several days and doesn't get upgraded when I do aptitude
> "safe-upgrade" after "aptitude update" each time day after day.
>
> So I do apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and the file is upgraded.
>
> Why does aptitude just ignore it again and again and apt-get upgrade it?

'apt-get upgrade' is synonymous with 'aptitude full-upgrade'. Had you run
'aptitude why-not <package>' you likely would have received the answer on
why aptitude was refusing to update it. Generally, when I've seen this, it
is because it relies on a dependency version that you don't have, so it
waits until that comes down the pipe.

Either way, not to be a dick and suggest you RTFM, but you really should
RTFM.

--
. o . o . o . . o o . . . o .
. . o . o o o . o . o o . . o

Old 04-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Charlie

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 15:58:05 -0600
Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 08:35:08AM +1000, Charlie wrote:
> > I upgrade my Debian Wheezy system with aptitude and it upgrades all
> > but one application file.
> >
> > Redo: "aptitude update" and it shows that file hangs around for
> > several days and doesn't get upgraded when I do aptitude
> > "safe-upgrade" after "aptitude update" each time day after day.
> >
> > So I do apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and the file is upgraded.
> >
> > Why does aptitude just ignore it again and again and apt-get
> > upgrade it?
>
> 'apt-get upgrade' is synonymous with 'aptitude full-upgrade'. Had you
> run 'aptitude why-not <package>' you likely would have received the
> answer on why aptitude was refusing to update it. Generally, when
> I've seen this, it is because it relies on a dependency version that
> you don't have, so it waits until that comes down the pipe.
>
> Either way, not to be a dick and suggest you RTFM, but you really
> should RTFM.

Thanks for that. I have a few aptitude commands noted and thanks to
Camaleón have also noted the one above.

What interested me, if you are correct, was that aptitude thought there
were missing dependencies and apt-get did not. Like I say, I have had
this happen a few times, and when aptitude didn't upgrade the package,
apt-get did and nothing was broken after it was done.

I did read about aptitude "full-upgrade" but thought it might just do
some damage, according to the man page. I did however, as you kindly
point out, miss the "why - why not" command though.

Thanks for your help.
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

Winter having come, the crows perch on the scarecrow. ----- KIKAKU

Old 04-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Lisi

On Tuesday 05 April 2011 23:35:08 Charlie wrote:
> Trying to satisfy a curiosity.
>
> I upgrade my Debian Wheezy system with aptitude and it upgrades all but
> one application file.
>
> Redo: "aptitude update" and it shows that file hangs around for
> several days and doesn't get upgraded when I do aptitude
> "safe-upgrade" after "aptitude update" each time day after day.
>
> So I do apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and the file is upgraded.
>
> Why does aptitude just ignore it again and again and apt-get upgrade it?

You are telling aptitude to run safe-upgrade. You are telling apt-get to
upgrade. They are not the same thing. You may have had something installed
that conflicted with the new package, and you told aptitude that it mustn't
remove anything. I know very little about apt-get, but according to Aaron,
who clearly does know about it, apt-get upgrade is equivalent to aptitude
full-upgrade. So apt-get upgrade presumably removed something and was able
to upgrade; aptitude didn't and couldn't.

You just need to remember that, in effect, if you run aptitude safe-upgrade
you are telling aptitude that it mustn't remove anything. This restriction
may mean that it can't upgrade.

HTH,
Lisi

Old 04-07-2011, 05:16 AM
Charlie

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 23:44:30 +0100
Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> You just need to remember that, in effect, if you run aptitude
> safe-upgrade you are telling aptitude that it mustn't remove
> anything. This restriction may mean that it can't upgrade.

Thanks for that information Lisi.

Aptitude does remove some packages on a safe-upgrade. Some are packages
that have been replaced with newer versions some are not and some are
brand new packages. I then get asked if I agree, I do so and it all
comes together.

With these packages that are not upgraded and are just left to linger.
I don't get asked a question if I would like to remove or install
anything. They are just there and do nothing and in the past I have had
these hanging round for weeks waiting to see if anything picks them up.
When they aren't picked up I use apt-get.

From the man page apt-get:

upgrade
upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently installed on the system
from the sources enumerated in /etc/apt/sources.list.
Packages currently installed with new versions available are retrieved
and upgraded; under no circumstances are currently installed packages
removed, or packages not already installed retrieved and installed.
New versions of currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without changing
the install status of another package will be left at their current
version. An update must be performed first so that apt-get knows that
new versions of packages are available.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. I thought it would be a straight
forward answer but safe-upgrade, full-upgrade, dist-upgrade and upgrade
and one being the same as the other etc.. is just not working for me. I
shouldn't have inquired. [laughing]

My curiosity is satisfied, in that, I know how to get round it and it
appears to work well. Sorry for the noise. I should just have allowed
it to lie.

Be well,
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

Nothing puzzles me more than time and space; yet nothing troubles me
less. ............Charles Lamb

Old 04-07-2011, 03:38 PM
David Jardine

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 11:44:30PM +0100, Lisi wrote:

> I know very little about apt-get, but according to Aaron, who
> clearly does know about it, apt-get upgrade is equivalent to aptitude
> full-upgrade.

Nobody's challenged this yet, so perhaps I'm mistaken in thinking that
aptitude's safe-upgrade and full-upgrade are equivalent to apt-get's
upgrade and dist-upgrade respectively. But I still think so.

Cheers,
David

Old 04-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Lisi

On Thursday 07 April 2011 16:38:42 David Jardine wrote:
> Nobody's challenged this yet, so perhaps I'm mistaken in thinking that
> aptitude's safe-upgrade and full-upgrade are equivalent to apt-get's
> upgrade and dist-upgrade respectively. *But I still think so.

And they say that they are much the same thing nowadays and can be mixed.....
I am of little faith and probably not much more brain (cf. A.A. Milne -
sorry!) but I shall continue to stick to aptitude except where very clearly
told not to. (As in the release notes for Squeeze.) I'm less likely to burn
the ship down!

Lisi

Old 04-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mi, 06 apr 11, 15:58:05, Aaron Toponce wrote:

> 'apt-get upgrade' is synonymous with 'aptitude full-upgrade'.

No, it's not. In fact, 'aptitude safe-upgrade' will install new
packages, while 'apt-get upgrade' will not

> Either way, not to be a dick and suggest you RTFM, but you really
> should RTFM.

Andrei