-   -   Asus A8N-E - debian-amd64 hangs during installation (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/510397-asus-a8n-e-debian-amd64-hangs-during-installation.html)

04-05-2011 06:45 PM

Asus A8N-E - debian-amd64 hangs during installation

I have box with sid i386 installed on it.
It has two disks WDC WD1001FALS in raid5 array (md0)
On md0 exists lvm.

I tried to install debian-6.0.1a-amd64 but with no success :(
1. Firstly I tried to install on prepared logical volume - kernel oops
(dmesg can be seen http://strony.aster.pl/kjonca/instalka.amd64.log)
2. Then I tried to use some other spare disks; either sata or pata - no success
also. Sometimes i can see kernel oops, sometimes I cannot even change
console from installer.

Googling for debian amd64 on this motherboard gives me posts from ~2005-2006,
but nothing more.

Can I redirect somehow installer logs to for example pendrive, to save
oops?
KJ

--
http://modnebzdury.wordpress.com/2009/10/01/niewiarygodny-list-prof-majewskiej-wprowadzenie/
Biologia poucza, ze jeśli cię coś ugryzło, to niemal pewne, ze była to samica.

Thierry Chatelet 04-05-2011 07:15 PM

On Tuesday 05 April 2011 20:45:58 Kamil Jońca wrote:
> I have box with sid i386 installed on it.
> It has two disks WDC WD1001FALS in raid5 array (md0)
> On md0 exists lvm.
>
> I tried to install debian-6.0.1a-amd64 but with no success :(
> 1. Firstly I tried to install on prepared logical volume - kernel oops
> (dmesg can be seen http://strony.aster.pl/kjonca/instalka.amd64.log)
> 2. Then I tried to use some other spare disks; either sata or pata - no
> success also. Sometimes i can see kernel oops, sometimes I cannot even
> change console from installer.
>
> Googling for debian amd64 on this motherboard gives me posts from
> ~2005-2006, but nothing more.
>
> Can I redirect somehow installer logs to for example pendrive, to save
> oops?
> KJ

Try to increase the voltage on memories first (if I recall right what did), or
on cpu. You should find a post from me around the time you give.
Thierry

Andrew Reid 04-06-2011 12:42 AM

Asus A8N-E - debian-amd64 hangs during installation

> I have box with sid i386 installed on it.
> It has two disks WDC WD1001FALS in raid5 array (md0)
> On md0 exists lvm.
>
> I tried to install debian-6.0.1a-amd64 but with no success :(

I can confirm for you that Debian 6.0.1 will indeed run on this
board, I was running it up until this past weekend, when I retired
the system in question.

I only ran 6.0 in 32-bit, but in the past, I've run 64-bit lenny
on that board, again, with no issues.

> 1. Firstly I tried to install on prepared logical volume - kernel oops
> (dmesg can be seen http://strony.aster.pl/kjonca/instalka.amd64.log)
> 2. Then I tried to use some other spare disks; either sata or pata - no
> success also. Sometimes i can see kernel oops, sometimes I cannot even
> change console from installer.

The only thing I can think of is pretty unlikely -- I have sometimes
run into a situation where the installer will not run on a system,
because of missing modules, but the full OS will run just fine. Since
you apparently have a running "sid", you could possibly set up the
new system on a disk via "debootstrap", then boot into it, and see
if that works better.

I think that's pretty unlikely, though -- my experience with this
is that typically it's more common with an older installer and a
newer motherboard. The A8N-E is from 2005, I'd expect it to be fully
supported by the installer kernel.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net

04-06-2011 08:10 AM

Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr> writes:

> On Tuesday 05 April 2011 20:45:58 Kamil Jońca wrote:
[...]
> Try to increase the voltage on memories first (if I recall right what did), or
> on cpu. You should find a post from me around the time you give.
> Thierry
Thanks.

I made some changes in BIOS (DDR voltage & CPU voltage IIRC) but only
success is that oops is thrown during "install base system" and not
during partitioning.

http://strony.aster.pl/kjonca/instalka.2.log

Does this mean memory/motherboard problems?
KJ

--
http://sporothrix.wordpress.com/2011/01/16/usa-sie-krztusza-kto-nastepny/
GNU is Not Unix

Ron Johnson 04-06-2011 08:57 AM

Asus A8N-E - debian-amd64 hangs during installation

Try to increase the voltage on memories first (if I recall right what did), or
on cpu. You should find a post from me around the time you give.
Thierry

Thanks.

I made some changes in BIOS (DDR voltage& CPU voltage IIRC) but only
success is that oops is thrown during "install base system" and not
during partitioning.

http://strony.aster.pl/kjonca/instalka.2.log

Does this mean memory/motherboard problems?

It could be the mobo, it could be the CPU or it could be RAM. (But
usually it's RAM.)

Reset the BIOS to factory defaults and then run memtest86+ from the Live CD.

corrupt."

Archive: 4D9C2B03.8080509@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D9C2B03.8080509@cox.net

Thierry Chatelet 04-06-2011 10:29 AM

On Wednesday 06 April 2011 10:10:32 Kamil Jońca wrote:
> Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr> writes:
> > On Tuesday 05 April 2011 20:45:58 Kamil Jońca wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Try to increase the voltage on memories first (if I recall right what
> > did), or on cpu. You should find a post from me around the time you
> > give. Thierry
>
> Thanks.
>

> I made some changes in BIOS (DDR voltage & CPU voltage IIRC) but only
> success is that oops is thrown during "install base system" and not
> during partitioning.
>
> http://strony.aster.pl/kjonca/instalka.2.log
>
> Does this mean memory/motherboard problems?
> KJ

I am trying to recall what I did. The problem with the same mobo was that every
component was working on other mobo, but not with that one, while other cpu,
memory stick made the mobo work perfectly. As I said before, the problem was
solved playing with the voltage, using lenny at the time. I recall also that it
would work with $W with standard bios setting. I tried last night to install
squeeze on the boxe to see if I had the problem, and the install oops at
various level, regardless of bios setting. I wont have time to look at it
before the coming week-end. I will keep you informe of the outcome.
Thierry

Greg Madden 04-06-2011 03:17 PM

On Wednesday 06 April 2011 12:10:32 am Kamil Jońca wrote:
> Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr> writes:
> > On Tuesday 05 April 2011 20:45:58 Kamil Jońca wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Try to increase the voltage on memories first (if I recall right what
> > did), or on cpu. You should find a post from me around the time you give.
> > Thierry
>
> Thanks.
>

> I made some changes in BIOS (DDR voltage & CPU voltage IIRC) but only
> success is that oops is thrown during "install base system" and not
> during partitioning.
>
> http://strony.aster.pl/kjonca/instalka.2.log
>
> Does this mean memory/motherboard problems?

Mine is a different Asus board, but I had to adjust the memory timing, even though
the memory was rated for all the timings the board supported , the highest one
caused issues.
--
Peace,

Greg

04-06-2011 08:36 PM

Asus A8N-E - debian-amd64 hangs during installation

kjonca@poczta.onet.pl (Kamil Jońca) writes:
[...]
Inspired by posts about setting hardware/bios options, I turned off "H/W
remapping over 4G" (IIRC)

Installation finished succesfully and now I'll try to play with newly 64
bit system. We'll see ...
Thanks.

KJ

--
http://modnebzdury.wordpress.com/2009/10/01/niewiarygodny-list-prof-majewskiej-wprowadzenie/
Suma inteligencji na planecie jest stala, liczba ludzi powieksza sie.

Ron Johnson 04-06-2011 09:13 PM

Asus A8N-E - debian-amd64 hangs during installation

Inspired by posts about setting hardware/bios options, I turned off "H/W
remapping over 4G" (IIRC)

Installation finished succesfully and now I'll try to play with newly 64
bit system. We'll see ...
Thanks.

Are you sure you aren't trying to install OS/2? :)

corrupt."

Archive: 4D9CD789.4090900@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D9CD789.4090900@cox.net

Andrej Kacian 04-11-2011 05:29 PM

Asus A8N-E - debian-amd64 hangs during installation

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 20:45:58 +0200
kjonca@poczta.onet.pl (Kamil Jońca) wrote:

>It has two disks WDC WD1001FALS in raid5 array (md0)

Hello,

just out of curiosity, why did you choose raid5 for a two-disk setup?

--
Andrej Kacian