Old 04-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Mark

Default Let's say you never want to upgrade from Lenny...

Hypothetically if a user doesn't want to upgrade to Squeeze, what would they have to do once Lenny stops being supported by Debian?* Let's assume the machines are used primarily for web surfing, including using flash.* Would they need to install Firefox manually once Lenny stops getting updates for Iceweasel?* What other hiccups would they encounter?* If the machines run great with Lenny then what is the reason to give a user to upgrade if they're perfectly happy with what they have and don't want it changed?

Thanks for any ideas.
Mark

Old 04-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Leonardo Ruoso

security updatesprotocol updates (IPv6 is comming to town)most users deal better with smaller and incremental interface changes

--
Leonardo Ruoso - Jornalista/DesenvolvedorAssessoria de Imprensa. Consultoria de Marketing.*Desenvolvimento e Integração de Software.*

Comunicação Social/Jornalismo - UFC/2006. Telecomunicações - ETFCE/1998.*Foos, Perl, Debian Gnu/Linux, Agile, UML, DBA e OOP. Coaching/NLP. Inglês e Francês.*http://leonardo.ruoso.com*-*http://www.linkedin.com/in/lruoso

Old 04-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Klistvud

Hypothetically if a user doesn't want to upgrade to Squeeze, what
would they
have to do once Lenny stops being supported by Debian? Let's assume
the
machines are used primarily for web surfing, including using flash.
Would
they need to install Firefox manually once Lenny stops getting
updates for
Iceweasel? What other hiccups would they encounter? If the machines
run

great with Lenny then what is the reason to give a user to upgrade if
they're perfectly happy with what they have and don't want it changed?

Thanks for any ideas.
Mark

The true reasons for their reluctance to upgrade should be carefully
assessed.

The leap from Lenny to Squeeze is not that big, after all. It's just
like having Lenny on steroids. There are just too many goodies in
Squeeze not to upgrade.

What's the big fuss? I've upgraded my better half and our two kids to
Squeeze and, apart from the new boot theme/wallpaper, they never even
noticed it.

Is some piece of hardware not supported anymore? Then, I'd try an
alternative driver, or try to make the old driver work (perhaps by
manually recompiling etc.).

Is there a particular package that's no longer supported in Squeeze?
I'd compile it from source, or find an alternative.

Is the new theme the problem? Then, I'd upgrade them to Squeeze and
manually install the old Lenny wallpaper.

For a particularly stubborn user, I'd just install Squeeze on a
separate partition and make it the Grub default -- leaving them the
freedom to boot Lenny if they so wish.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 07:56:13 -0700, Mark wrote:

> Hypothetically if a user doesn't want to upgrade to Squeeze, what would
> they have to do once Lenny stops being supported by Debian?

The user should track security flaws by himself and apply the patches
(which usually involves compiling).

> Let's assume the machines are used primarily for web surfing, including
> using flash. Would they need to install Firefox manually once Lenny
> stops getting updates for Iceweasel?

Sure, if the user wants to be on the safe side :-)

> What other hiccups would they encounter?

I'd be fear of kernel flaws, those of stock libraries (glib) or the ones
affecting the whole DE (gnome, kde...) not only exploits involving
concrete applications. Remember that security is the sum of all involved
parts and those parts are not isolated.

> If the machines run great with Lenny then what is the reason to give a
> user to upgrade if they're perfectly happy with what they have and
> don't want it changed?

Having a computer connected to Internet is always a risk which decreases
with an updated system. It does not have to happen nothing bad, but who
knows... better safe that sorry.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-05-2011, 04:42 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On 2011-04-05 09:56:13 Mark wrote:
>Hypothetically if a user doesn't want to upgrade to Squeeze, what would they
>have to do once Lenny stops being supported by Debian?

Eventually, they will get owned and become a zombie that SPAMs (or worse) the
rest of us. Depending on the amount of effort you are capable of, this may be
decades later. By the time an oldstable is retired, it has already had a lot
of attacks thrown at it and hasn't had new code introduced in quite a while.
But, eventually, it will happen; sometimes exploits have come out mere weeks
after an oldstable is retired that affects the software in it.

Please don't use Lenny after Debian drops security support. If you need more
support than Debian provides and <= 5 years, install an Ubuntu LTS. If you
need more than 5 years of security support, look into SLE* or RHEL. You can
get up to 10 years on security support on a SLE* release.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 04-05-2011, 04:51 PM
George Standish

If you need more support than Debian provides and<= 5 years, install an Ubuntu LTS.

Just to clarify, Ubuntu LTS releases are 5 years for the server version,
3 years for the desktop version.

George

Archive: 4D9B4881.2070908@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D9B4881.2070908@gmail.com

Old 04-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Sven Hoexter

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 11:42:42AM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> If you need more
> support than Debian provides and <= 5 years, install an Ubuntu LTS.

That won't buy you that much AFAIK since the LTS 5 years support it's limited
to the server version and doesn't include universe(?). Ok at least you've some
baseline with a kernel and some core libs but that's it.

Sven
--
And I don't know much, but I do know this:
With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:04 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On 2011-04-05 11:51:13 George Standish wrote:
>> If you need more support than Debian provides and<= 5 years, install an
>> Ubuntu LTS.
>
>Just to clarify, Ubuntu LTS releases are 5 years for the server version,
>3 years for the desktop version.

They use the same repositories. What exactly is the difference? Does the
server version not include "restricted"? (Like neither version includes
"universe" or "multiverse".)

Old 04-05-2011, 05:07 PM
George Standish

If you need more support than Debian provides and<= 5 years, install an
Ubuntu LTS.

Just to clarify, Ubuntu LTS releases are 5 years for the server version,
3 years for the desktop version.

They use the same repositories. What exactly is the difference? Does the
server version not include "restricted"? (Like neither version includes
"universe" or "multiverse".)

I'm really not sure, I've only used the desktop version (besides some
very superficial installs of server in a VM).

Sorry, I'm no help.

George

Archive: 4D9B4C44.7020002@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D9B4C44.7020002@gmail.com

Old 04-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Dave Sherohman

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 05:55:30PM +0200, Klistvud wrote:
> The leap from Lenny to Squeeze is not that big, after all. It's just
> like having Lenny on steroids. There are just too many goodies in
> Squeeze not to upgrade.
>
> What's the big fuss? I've upgraded my better half and our two kids to
> Squeeze and, apart from the new boot theme/wallpaper, they never even
> noticed it.

So, if I'm following this correctly, you should upgrade from lenny to
squeeze because it's chock full of goodies, but (aside from the boot
theme/wallpaper) you'll never notice whether those goodies are there or
not?

If the goodies aren't noticable, then they don't sound like a very
compelling reason to upgrade.

(I'm not saying you shouldn't upgrade, just that those two paragraphs
seem to contradict each other.)

--
Dave Sherohman