Old 04-05-2011, 12:43 AM
Rob Owens

Default system-wide bogofilter, procmail, fetchmail

I'm successfully using fetchmail, procmail, and bogofilter as my user,
but I'm looking to set it up system-wide and have some questions.

I'm running an IMAP server with accounts for several family members.
I'd like to scan for spam and file the spam in a "spam" folder for each
user.

My personal .procmailrc contains this:

:0fw
| /usr/bin/bogofilter -uep

:0:
spam

I guess I'm not sure how to specify that each user has their own "spam"
folder. Any tips or links to how-to's are welcome.

-Rob

Old 04-05-2011, 02:42 AM
Ron Johnson

I'm successfully using fetchmail, procmail, and bogofilter as my user,
but I'm looking to set it up system-wide and have some questions.

I'm running an IMAP server with accounts for several family members.
I'd like to scan for spam and file the spam in a "spam" folder for each
user.

My personal .procmailrc contains this:

:0fw
| /usr/bin/bogofilter -uep

:0:
spam

I guess I'm not sure how to specify that each user has their own "spam"
folder. Any tips or links to how-to's are welcome.

Does your fetchmail run as a daemon?

I set fetchmail to run from each user's crontab. Thus, each user feeds
their own mail to postfix/spamassassin and then into maildrop
automagically in each user's Maildir.

corrupt."

Archive: 4D9A81AF.2080905@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D9A81AF.2080905@cox.net

Old 04-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Rob Owens

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 09:42:55PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 04/04/2011 07:43 PM, Rob Owens wrote:
> >I'm successfully using fetchmail, procmail, and bogofilter as my user,
> >but I'm looking to set it up system-wide and have some questions.
> >
> >I'm running an IMAP server with accounts for several family members.
> >I'd like to scan for spam and file the spam in a "spam" folder for each
> >user.
> >
> >My personal .procmailrc contains this:
> >
> >:0fw
> >| /usr/bin/bogofilter -uep
> >
> >:0:
> >spam
> >
> >I guess I'm not sure how to specify that each user has their own "spam"
> >folder. Any tips or links to how-to's are welcome.
> >

> Does your fetchmail run as a daemon?

Currently I only use fetchmail for my user, and I run it as a daemon.
My plan is to run system-wide fetchmail for all users, also as a daemon.

> I set fetchmail to run from each user's crontab. Thus, each user
> feeds their own mail to postfix/spamassassin and then into maildrop
> automagically in each user's Maildir.

That's an option for me, I guess, since I only have a few users. But is
that how admins with hundreds of users do it?

-Rob

Old 04-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Ron Johnson

On 04/05/2011 03:52 PM, Rob Owens wrote:

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 09:42:55PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

[snip]

I set fetchmail to run from each user's crontab. Thus, each user
feeds their own mail to postfix/spamassassin and then into maildrop
automagically in each user's Maildir.

That's an option for me, I guess, since I only have a few users. But is
that how admins with hundreds of users do it?

Virtual users with messages stored in databases like MySQL.

corrupt."