Old 02-09-2008, 03:14 AM
"s. keeling"

Default USB pendrive mobility (fat32)?

Yeah, I think this stuff (talking to Win*) sucks too. And this is a
Win* problem (sorry) but I'm a Debian user, not a Win* user, so I'm
ignorant wrt this stuff. 4 Gb pendrive from Staples:

(0) phreaque [root] /etc_ fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 4103 MB, 4103938560 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 498 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 38 305203+ b W95 FAT32
/dev/sda2 39 127 714892+ b W95 FAT32
/dev/sda3 * 128 225 787185 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 226 498 2192872+ 83 Linux

Plugging that into the corporate WinXP laptop only displays the first
ca. 300 Mb ptn. Why doesn't it see the 2nd? How have I borked the
ptn table?

[Knoppix and /scratch are on the two 83s, yet to be tested. :-)]

Old 02-09-2008, 04:06 AM
David S

s. keeling wrote:
> Plugging that into the corporate WinXP laptop only displays the first
> ca. 300 Mb ptn. Why doesn't it see the 2nd? How have I borked the
> ptn table?

Hi

I have this same issue with Windows XP too. I think its not your
fault but the OS's. For most users one partition on a flash drive is
standard, so WinXP must have decided to limit the number of
partitions displayable to one.

The interesting thing is, though, that Windows 98 can see more than
one partition on a flash drive.

However, the problem doesn't seem to affect portable hard drives.

David S

Old 02-09-2008, 04:54 AM
"s. keeling"

Incoming from Adrian Levi:
> On 09/02/2008, s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com> wrote:
> > Yeah, I think this stuff (talking to Win*) sucks too. And this is a
> > Win* problem (sorry) but I'm a Debian user, not a Win* user, so I'm
> > ignorant wrt this stuff. 4 Gb pendrive from Staples:
> >
> > (0) phreaque [root] /etc_ fdisk -l /dev/sda
> >
> > Disk /dev/sda: 4103 MB, 4103938560 bytes
> > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 498 cylinders
> > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> >
> > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> > /dev/sda1 1 38 305203+ b W95 FAT32
> > /dev/sda2 39 127 714892+ b W95 FAT32
> > /dev/sda3 * 128 225 787185 83 Linux
> > /dev/sda4 226 498 2192872+ 83 Linux
> >
> > Plugging that into the corporate WinXP laptop only displays the first
> > ca. 300 Mb ptn. Why doesn't it see the 2nd? How have I borked the
> > ptn table?
>
> Please correct me if i'm wrong but I thought that windows could only
> handle one primary partition per device. Perhaps that is where your

Is that "USB" device? That's new. HDs can handle four primaries, or
three primaries and an extended which holds many logicals. USB is
different? Those are all primaries up there.

> problem lies. remake your pendrive with cylinders 39 127 as sda5
> (extended) and you should be fine I think.

Ick. Doesn't that mean blowing away ptn4 then three then create
extended and ... (logical ...)? Which I shouldn't really need to do
for my purposes. I just want WinSPIT to see a couple of fat ptns on
the stick so I can transfer files.

[Booting Knoppix off the other ptns is an unrelated but interesting
sub-project (pendrivelinux....).]
(*) Please don't Cc: me.
- -

Old 02-09-2008, 11:37 AM
"Adrian Levi"

For the list,

On 09/02/2008, s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I think this stuff (talking to Win*) sucks too. And this is a
> Win* problem (sorry) but I'm a Debian user, not a Win* user, so I'm
> ignorant wrt this stuff. 4 Gb pendrive from Staples:
>
> (0) phreaque [root] /etc_ fdisk -l /dev/sda
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 4103 MB, 4103938560 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 498 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/sda1 1 38 305203+ b W95 FAT32
> /dev/sda2 39 127 714892+ b W95 FAT32
> /dev/sda3 * 128 225 787185 83 Linux
> /dev/sda4 226 498 2192872+ 83 Linux
>
> Plugging that into the corporate WinXP laptop only displays the first
> ca. 300 Mb ptn. Why doesn't it see the 2nd? How have I borked the
> ptn table?
>

> [Knoppix and /scratch are on the two 83s, yet to be tested. :-)]

Please correct me if i'm wrong but I thought that windows could only
handle one primary partition per device. Perhaps that is where your
problem lies. remake your pendrive with cylinders 39 127 as sda5
(extended) and you should be fine I think.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:44 AM
"Adrian Levi"

On 09/02/2008, s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com> wrote:
> Incoming from Adrian Levi:
> > On 09/02/2008, s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com> wrote:
> > > Yeah, I think this stuff (talking to Win*) sucks too. And this is a
> > > Win* problem (sorry) but I'm a Debian user, not a Win* user, so I'm
> > > ignorant wrt this stuff. 4 Gb pendrive from Staples:
> > >
> > > (0) phreaque [root] /etc_ fdisk -l /dev/sda
> > >
> > > Disk /dev/sda: 4103 MB, 4103938560 bytes
> > > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 498 cylinders
> > > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> > >
> > > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> > > /dev/sda1 1 38 305203+ b W95 FAT32
> > > /dev/sda2 39 127 714892+ b W95 FAT32
> > > /dev/sda3 * 128 225 787185 83 Linux
> > > /dev/sda4 226 498 2192872+ 83 Linux
> > >
> > > Plugging that into the corporate WinXP laptop only displays the first
> > > ca. 300 Mb ptn. Why doesn't it see the 2nd? How have I borked the
> > > ptn table?
> >
> > Please correct me if i'm wrong but I thought that windows could only
> > handle one primary partition per device. Perhaps that is where your
>
> Is that "USB" device? That's new. HDs can handle four primaries, or
> three primaries and an extended which holds many logicals. USB is
> different? Those are all primaries up there.

Can windows display 4 primary partitions or are you talking about
linux? I'm specifically talking about windows' ability to display more
than one primary partition on a device be it pen drive, usb hard
drive, sata/ide drive. I'f I'm wrong and windows can display more than
one primary partition on a device please let me know, I'd love to
know.

> > problem lies. remake your pendrive with cylinders 39 127 as sda5
> > (extended) and you should be fine I think.
>
> Ick. Doesn't that mean blowing away ptn4 then three then create
> extended and ... (logical ...)? Which I shouldn't really need to do
> for my purposes. I just want WinSPIT to see a couple of fat ptns on
> the stick so I can transfer files.

That's what i'd do next.

Adrian

Old 02-09-2008, 05:00 PM
"David Fox"

On 2/8/08, s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com> wrote:

> Ick. Doesn't that mean blowing away ptn4 then three then create
> extended and ... (logical ...)? Which I shouldn't really need to do

Wouldn't it be just simpler to copy off the files in the stick and
reformat it to just one primary partition, and then restore
everything?

I'm not sure why you'd want multiple partitions on a USB stick anyway.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:22 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 09/02/2008, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/8/08, s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com> wrote:
>
> > Ick. Doesn't that mean blowing away ptn4 then three then create
> > extended and ... (logical ...)? Which I shouldn't really need to do
>

> Wouldn't it be just simpler to copy off the files in the stick and
> reformat it to just one primary partition, and then restore
> everything?
>
> I'm not sure why you'd want multiple partitions on a USB stick anyway.

He's got a portable Linux distro on one of the partitions. sda3 is
marked as bootable.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-09-2008, 09:33 PM
"s. keeling"

Adrian Levi <adrian.levi@gmail.com>:

> Can windows display 4 primary partitions or are you talking about
> linux? I'm specifically talking about windows' ability to display more
> than one primary partition on a device be it pen drive, usb hard
> drive, sata/ide drive. I'f I'm wrong and windows can display more than
> one primary partition on a device please let me know, I'd love to
> know.

Until now, it always could, but apparently, MS broke that mold when it
came to pendrives.

> That's what i'd do next.

Done. Test it Monday.

> <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to
> ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my
> apartment it is.

Is it WiFi? It may not be in your apartment. Maybe your neighbour
stole it? Need a web cam on that thing. :-)

Old 02-09-2008, 10:29 PM
"s. keeling"

David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com>:
> On 2/8/08, s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com> wrote:
>
> > Ick. Doesn't that mean blowing away ptn4 then three then create
> > extended and ... (logical ...)? Which I shouldn't really need to do
>
> Wouldn't it be just simpler to copy off the files in the stick and
> reformat it to just one primary partition, and then restore
> everything?

No need to copy it. All data's on hard drive too.

> I'm not sure why you'd want multiple partitions on a USB stick
> anyway.

Really? Well, considering this experience (this was suggested by a
friend): think of multiple ptns as a security feature. If the stick
falls into the hands of a script kiddie, he's not going to have the
smarts to wonder why that single primary ptn he can see is empty. He
won't see 2nd, 3rd, ... ptns because Windows doesn't bother to let him
know they're there.

Secondly, the web doc I'm looking at says to create a 750 Mb fat16 ptn
and cp KNOPPIX and boot/isolinux/* to it.

XP understands ... XP, so fat of some sort for my sneakernet to corp
XP boxes.

I might even tinker with a crypto ptn on this thing.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:33 PM
"s. keeling"

David S <dalidan@bigpond.net.au>:
> s. keeling wrote:
> > Plugging that into the corporate WinXP laptop only displays the first
> > ca. 300 Mb ptn. Why doesn't it see the 2nd? How have I borked the
> > ptn table?
>
> I have this same issue with Windows XP too. I think its not your
> fault but the OS's. For most users one partition on a flash drive is
> standard, so WinXP must have decided to limit the number of
> partitions displayable to one.

Thanks for the confirmation. This is amazing:

> The interesting thing is, though, that Windows 98 can see more than
> one partition on a flash drive.

Amazing as in, XP can't. This seems a fairly insane design decision on
the part of MS.