Old 04-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Tyler Smith

Default mouse speed too fast

Hi,

I'm using Debian testing with Fluxbox for my window manager. I've just
bought a new optical mouse, and it's so sensitive that it's very
difficult to select small bits of text.

I've tried using xset to change the sensitivity, but I have only
succeeded in making it even faster (for instance, using xset m 10 0). My
attempts to slow the mouse down (xset m 1/100 100, xset m 1/1000 100
etc.) have not produced a mouse that is slow enough for easy use. Is
there something else I can do to slow the mouse down, or some other
incantation of xset that might persuade X that I want a _really_ slow
mouse?

Thanks,

Tyler

Old 04-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Chance Platt

I'm using Debian testing with Fluxbox for my window manager. I've just
bought a new optical mouse, and it's so sensitive that it's very
difficult to select small bits of text.

I've tried using xset to change the sensitivity, but I have only
succeeded in making it even faster (for instance, using xset m 10 0). My
attempts to slow the mouse down (xset m 1/100 100, xset m 1/1000 100
etc.) have not produced a mouse that is slow enough for easy use. Is
there something else I can do to slow the mouse down, or some other
incantation of xset that might persuade X that I want a _really_ slow
mouse?

http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/PointerAcceleration

Pay attention especially to ConstantDeceleration if regular options
don't help much.

Archive: 4D98FDE3.7040302@sdf.lonestar.org">http://lists.debian.org/4D98FDE3.7040302@sdf.lonestar.org

Old 04-04-2011, 02:04 AM
Tyler Smith

Chance Platt <chance@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

> On 04/03/2011 05:58 PM, Tyler Smith wrote:
>>
>> I've tried using xset to change the sensitivity, but I have only
>> succeeded in making it even faster (for instance, using xset m 10 0). My
>> attempts to slow the mouse down (xset m 1/100 100, xset m 1/1000 100
>> etc.) have not produced a mouse that is slow enough for easy use. Is
>> there something else I can do to slow the mouse down, or some other
>> incantation of xset that might persuade X that I want a _really_ slow
>> mouse?
>>

> http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/PointerAcceleration
>
> Pay attention especially to ConstantDeceleration if regular options
> don't help much.

That looks helpful, but how do I actually make the changes? I assume
that I should edit /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi, and I used the
code provided in your link as an example. Do I have to restart X to get
the config re-read? Your link suggest I can stop hal with
/etc/init.d/hald stop, but that file doesn't exist on my system.

What I'm finding on Google seems to suggest that most people interact
with Hal through some sort of desktop-environment-specific device
manager, but I don't see one for Fluxbox. The actual hal docs are a bit
imposing for me - I don't want to program it, I just want to tweak the
configuration!

Thanks for your help,

Tyler

Old 04-04-2011, 04:39 AM
Chance Platt

[...]

First, I made the assumption you're running Squeeze or later (whoops).
If you're running Lenny, you can't follow the instructions I gave
because the improved mouse handling is not available in Lenny.

You have one of two options really: the HAL path or the xorg.conf path.
I'd follow the xorg.conf path because I"m familiar with it and it is
relatively easy to work with. Also, on my box, I have both fluxbox and
gnome installed and do not have the hal package installed - AFAIK it is
optional and being obsoleted by udev anyway. It may be completely
superfluous in your situation.

To move on from where you're at: either undo your changes to HAL
configuration, uninstall the "hal" package if possible, or hope someone
who is more familiar with HAL is on the list.

The xorg.conf route is pretty easy. Some basic information about
xorg.conf: http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg

The basics: you probably don't have an xorg.conf. Create one if you
don't, by, as root, using "Xorg -configure". This creates a default
working xorg.conf. Then add your custom pointer settings to your
heart's desire, move the file to /etc/X11/, and start X. If X fails to
start for some reason, move or rename xorg.conf and try again.

For each change to your xorg.conf, you can usually just logout of your
session and log back in for the changes to take effect. If that doesn't
seem to work, restart X.

Archive: 4D994B92.9050002@sdf.lonestar.org">http://lists.debian.org/4D994B92.9050002@sdf.lonestar.org

Old 04-04-2011, 06:23 AM
George

On 4/4/11, Chance Platt <chance@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/PointerAcceleration
>
> Pay attention especially to ConstantDeceleration if regular options
> don't help much.

I used to have the same problem as the OP with my mouse, I was pointed
to that page but I was never able to get constant deceleration to
work. That was under lenny though, so you're saying that the option
was not available for lenny all along?... Are we sure that it is now
available for squeeze?

Old 04-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Tyler Smith

Chance Platt <chance@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

>> That looks helpful, but how do I actually make the changes? I assume
>> that I should edit /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi, and I used the
>> code provided in your link as an example. Do I have to restart X to get
>> the config re-read? Your link suggest I can stop hal with
>> /etc/init.d/hald stop, but that file doesn't exist on my system.
>>
>> What I'm finding on Google seems to suggest that most people interact
>> with Hal through some sort of desktop-environment-specific device
>> manager, but I don't see one for Fluxbox. The actual hal docs are a bit
>> imposing for me - I don't want to program it, I just want to tweak the
>> configuration!
>>

> First, I made the assumption you're running Squeeze or later (whoops).
> If you're running Lenny, you can't follow the instructions I gave
> because the improved mouse handling is not available in Lenny.

I'm running testing/Wheezy.

> You have one of two options really: the HAL path or the xorg.conf
> path. I'd follow the xorg.conf path because I"m familiar with it and
> it is relatively easy to work with. Also, on my box, I have both
> fluxbox and gnome installed and do not have the hal package installed
> - AFAIK it is optional and being obsoleted by udev anyway. It may be
> completely superfluous in your situation.

I've been a little confused about xorg vs hal vs udev. It's not clear to
me which I ought to be reading up on, but it is clear I need to know
more about whichever one is now the canonical way to interact with X.

> To move on from where you're at: either undo your changes to HAL
> configuration, uninstall the "hal" package if possible, or hope
> someone who is more familiar with HAL is on the list.

Hal is required by wpasupplicant. Actually, it is a dependency of a
dependency of wpasupplicant, so I don't think I can get rid of it. I did
delete my modifications to the Hal config file.

> The xorg.conf route is pretty easy. Some basic information about
> xorg.conf: http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg
>
> The basics: you probably don't have an xorg.conf. Create one if you
> don't, by, as root, using "Xorg -configure". This creates a default
> working xorg.conf. Then add your custom pointer settings to your
> heart's desire, move the file to /etc/X11/, and start X. If X fails to
> start for some reason, move or rename xorg.conf and try again.

I did have a xorg.conf, but I made a new one with Xorg -configure, and
modified the mouse section to read:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
Option "ConstantDeceleration" "2"
EndSection

After that, I exited out of X, restarted, and I still have a super-fast
mouse. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Tyler

Old 04-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Tyler Smith

Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@eku.edu> writes:

> I did have a xorg.conf, but I made a new one with Xorg -configure, and
> modified the mouse section to read:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Mouse0"
> Driver "mouse"
> Option "Protocol" "auto"
> Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
> Option "ConstantDeceleration" "2"
> EndSection

I found some references to xinput, so I installed that and after some
tinkering, the following line worked to slow my mouse down to an
acceptable speed for selecting small sections of text:

xinput set-prop "Evoluent VerticalMouse 4"
"Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 8

I can't yet get it to speed up again to cross the screen at a higher
speed, but I think I'm finally on the right track.

Thanks,

Tyler

Old 04-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Jörg-Volker Peetz

If I see it correctly,

Tyler Smith wrote, on 04/04/11 16:08:
> Chance Platt <chance@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

[snip]

> I'm running testing/Wheezy.

[snip]
>> The xorg.conf route is pretty easy. Some basic information about
>> xorg.conf: http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg

in wheezy X uses udev and the wiki is outdated. I found the following link more
instructive: http://pkg-xorg.alioth.debian.org/howto/configure-input.html in my
case for configuring a touchpad. But the section "InputClass" also applies for
mouse settings with the option

MatchIsPointer "on"

compare man-page of xorg.conf

[snip]