Old 04-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Heddle Weaver

Default English language

On 4 April 2011 22:41, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:

* On 2011 04 Apr 03:21 -0500, Lisi wrote:

> On Monday 04 April 2011 01:24:03 David Jardine wrote:

> > I just love the spelling of "Advertiser".

> Do Americans spell it with a zed?

Mostly, yes.

No, they spell it with a 'zee'.
Regards,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Doug

On 04/04/2011 04:19 AM, Lisi wrote:

On Monday 04 April 2011 01:24:03 David Jardine wrote:

I just love the spelling of "Advertiser".

Do Americans spell it with a zed?

Lisi

No.

--doug

Archive: 4D9A0651.1090006@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D9A0651.1090006@optonline.net

Old 04-05-2011, 12:21 AM
Joel Rees

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 12:06 AM, Heddle Weaver <weaver2world@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4 April 2011 22:41, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:
>>
>> * On 2011 04 Apr 03:21 -0500, Lisi wrote:
>> >
>> > Do Americans spell it with a zed?
>>
>> Mostly, yes.
>
> No, they spell it with a 'zee'.

FWIW,

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/advertize

comes back with "The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. ..."

It does find "customize. ("customise" is reported as a British variant. heh.)

When I was in the elementary grades, we talked about the z
substitution and the teachers suggested it was going to happen in the
US. When I was in the middle grades, some of the teachers were saying
use whichever, it looked like both would be accepted in the US.

--
Joel Rees
(with apoligies for failing to hit "reply all" and adust headers again.)

[... Terrorism would be the oldest and most extreme form of false
religion. -- JDZ]