Old 04-03-2011, 06:06 PM

Default Debian Newbie need help - belated thank you to all

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to say thank you to all of
you who offered some guidance - pressure of obligations in may
areas cut into my time somewhat. I have decided to give Debian a
miss yet again. I really is a bit too cumbersome. I am not new to
computing with over 30 years experience. A lot of that was as a
system support programmer on large mainframes, programming in HEX
and Assembler, so heaven help an absolute beginner.

I've got Fedora doing what I need for now and use Puppy 4 to rescue
family and friends who have managed to mess up Windows. I still
think that all distros ought to take a leaf from Puppy's book and
give the graphics options on the setup screen. Puppy, so far,
manages to identify both card and monitor capabilities correctly.

Regards,

P3qwestra

Old 04-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Stephen Powell

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 14:06:52 -0400 (EDT), p3qwestra@hushmail.com wrote:

> I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to say thank you to all of
> you who offered some guidance - pressure of obligations in may
> areas cut into my time somewhat. I have decided to give Debian a
> miss yet again. I really is a bit too cumbersome. I am not new to
> computing with over 30 years experience. A lot of that was as a
> system support programmer on large mainframes, programming in HEX
> and Assembler, so heaven help an absolute beginner.
>
> I've got Fedora doing what I need for now and use Puppy 4 to rescue
> family and friends who have managed to mess up Windows. I still
> think that all distros ought to take a leaf from Puppy's book and
> give the graphics options on the setup screen. Puppy, so far,
> manages to identify both card and monitor capabilities correctly.

I never saw your original post; so I didn't know what you were talking
about at first. "Thank you"s are so rare that I went back and read
your original post. As someone else has noted, your subject line was
terrible. Put yourself in the shoes of someone who has a full time
job doing something else. He monitors the list because he wants to
help people. But he doesn't have the time to read hundreds of e-mails
per day. What I do is scan the subject lines and only read posts about
topics that I think I know something about. "Newbie needs help" contains
no information at all about the problem you are trying to solve. So
I skipped over it. Even so, you did get a request for your Xorg.0.log
file, which is what I would have asked for too. And as far as I can
tell, you never posted it. You give up too easily.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :