Old 04-03-2011, 03:19 PM
David Goodenough

Default Addressing a machine behind the router without port forwarding or DMZ

On Sunday 03 April 2011, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Not a Debian-specific question, but I turn to the best brains that I know.
>
> Assuming a LAN with a router and three machines:
> 10.0.0.1 Router
> 10.0.0.2 Computer1
> 10.0.0.3 Computer2
> 10.0.0.4 Computer3
>
> The router sits on an outside IP address of 123.45.67.89. There is no
> DMZ or port forwarding assigned on the router to any of the other
> machines.
>
> Is there any way an individual from outside the LAN could access a
> resource (Apache for instance, or SSH) on Computer1 assuming that he
> knows Computer1's LAN IP address? Would this this be possible if he
> had access to Computer1 and could configure it somehow (without
> configuring the router)?
If they could install vtun or openvpn (or another tunnel system) then
yes they they would have complete access to all three computers without
changing anything on the router.

David

Old 04-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Pascal Hambourg

Hello,

Dotan Cohen a écrit :

> Assuming a LAN with a router and three machines:
> 10.0.0.1 Router
> 10.0.0.2 Computer1
> 10.0.0.3 Computer2
> 10.0.0.4 Computer3
>
> The router sits on an outside IP address of 123.45.67.89. There is no
> DMZ or port forwarding assigned on the router to any of the other
> machines.
>
> Is there any way an individual from outside the LAN could access a
> resource (Apache for instance, or SSH) on Computer1 assuming that he
> knows Computer1's LAN IP address?

Yes, if the individual sits just outside the router (no other router
between them) and the router allows communication between computer1 and
the outside.

> Would this this be possible if he
> had access to Computer1 and could configure it somehow (without
> configuring the router)?

Yes, if the router allows communication between computer1 and the outside.