Old 02-09-2008, 02:25 AM
Wayne Topa

Default Ethernet card does not work after Mother Board Change

Butch Kemper(kemper@tstar.net) is reported to have said:

> I built a system using 4.0r2 net-install and have kernel 2.6.18-5-k7 installed.
>
> The motherboard failed and the replacement board has a different type
> ethernet card.
>
> In the kern.log file, I can see the ethernet card is recognized and
> called eth0 but:
>
> The card is not connected to eth0 in ifconfig - there is no
> eth0.
>
> There is not an interrupt level in /proc/interrupts for the
> ethernet card.
>
> If I try an ifup eth0, I get an error about a non-existant
> device.
>
> I tried entering the driver name in /etc/modules but that does not help.
>
> I need some assistance on how to proceed to get the system to properly
> setup the ethernet card.

check the file
/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules

I suspect that there is now more then one eth0 entry.

ISTR that commenting out the old entry didn't work, so remove it and
reboot.

WT

--
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one
works.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Butch Kemper

is reported to have said:

> I built a system using 4.0r2 net-install and have kernel 2.6.18-5-k7
installed.

> The motherboard failed and the replacement board has a different
type*

> ethernet card.

> In the kern.log file, I can see the ethernet card is recognized
and*

> called eth0 but:

>******** The card is not
connected to eth0 in ifconfig - there is no

>******** eth0.

>******** There is not an
interrupt level in /proc/interrupts for the

>******** ethernet card.

>******** If I try an ifup
eth0, I get an error about a non-existant

>******** device.

> I tried entering the driver name in /etc/modules but that does not
help.

> I need some assistance on how to proceed to get the system to
properly

> setup the ethernet card.

check the file

/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules

I suspect that there is now more then one eth0 entry.

ISTR that commenting out the old entry didn't work, so remove it and

reboot.

WT

Thank you.* The correction was as you suggested.* I deleted the
file /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules and rebooted.*
Everything started working.

Butch

Old 02-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Wayne Topa

Butch Kemper(kemper@tstar.net) is reported to have said:
> At 09:25 PM 2/8/2008, you wrote:
>> Butch Kemper(kemper@tstar.net) is reported to have said:
<--<snip>-->

>> > I need some assistance on how to proceed to get the system to properly
>> > setup the ethernet card.
>> >

>> check the file
>> /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules
>>
>> I suspect that there is now more then one eth0 entry.
>>
>> ISTR that commenting out the old entry didn't work, so remove it and
>> reboot.
>>
>> WT
>
> Thank you. The correction was as you suggested. I deleted the file
> /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules and rebooted. Everything
> started working.

Good! Thank you for the report of the solution. Now others can find
your reply and learn from it!

Best Regards

Wayne

--
You don't have to know how the computer works, just how to work the
computer.