Old 04-03-2011, 05:49 AM
Ron Johnson

Default My posts to list not echoed

On 04/03/2011 12:41 AM, Ken Heard wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

Hmmm. I just viewed your email source and even though your domain is
heard.name, I see gmail buried in there. So, you get a vanity domain
and then use {imap,smtp}.googlemail.com?

You have likely fingered the problem. Yes, I have, as you call it, a
"vanity" e-mail address using the "name" TLD. I pay about CA$30 a year
for it; I got it because I have had occasions in the past where it was

[big snippage of important stuff]

I am nevertheless grateful for your attention to my problem; it was your
last post in particular which put me on what I hope is the right track.
On my return to Toronto in mid-April I will report further.

I bet it has to do with ISPs blocking port 25.

corrupt."

Archive: 4D980A50.4080301@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D980A50.4080301@cox.net

Old 04-03-2011, 07:46 AM
Lisi

On Sunday 03 April 2011 02:54:17 George Standish wrote:
> On 02/04/11 09:11 PM, Ken Heard wrote:
> > I have noticed that recently my posts to the list have not been echoed
> > back to me; so I have no confirmation that a given post has been
> > received by the list and distributed.
> >
> > I used to have all my posts echoed and wondered why now they are not.
> > Is such echoing controlled at my end (I am using icedove) or at the list
> > end?
> I have notice the exact same behaviour here. If I send an email to this
> list, I can see my own reply using the Gmail web interface, but my email
> never shows in Icedove?

If you use the Gmail SMTP servers, Gmail will dispose of the posting by the
list of your message, presumably on the logic that you know what you said -
but you do not then know whether your post ever reached the list. It is
presumably meant to be a "feature", but I find it very annoying.

For this reason I send by my ISP's STMP server - when the list will let me!
It sometimes blocks my emails when I do this.

Lisi

Old 04-03-2011, 08:24 AM
George Standish

[...]

Lisi, thanks for providing a logical explanation for this behaviour.

George

Archive: 4D982EAC.4040800@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D982EAC.4040800@gmail.com

Old 04-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Ken Heard

Old 04-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Ken Heard

Old 04-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Wolodja Wentland

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 08:46 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> On Sunday 03 April 2011 02:54:17 George Standish wrote:
> > On 02/04/11 09:11 PM, Ken Heard wrote:
> > > I have noticed that recently my posts to the list have not been echoed
> > > back to me; so I have no confirmation that a given post has been
> > > received by the list and distributed.
> > >
> > > I used to have all my posts echoed and wondered why now they are not.
> > > Is such echoing controlled at my end (I am using icedove) or at the list
> > > end?
> > I have notice the exact same behaviour here. If I send an email to this
> > list, I can see my own reply using the Gmail web interface, but my email
> > never shows in Icedove?
>
> If you use the Gmail SMTP servers, Gmail will dispose of the posting by the
> list of your message, presumably on the logic that you know what you said -
> but you do not then know whether your post ever reached the list. It is
> presumably meant to be a "feature", but I find it very annoying.

You might try the solutions in the last comment:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=737a9de8dc7f8cb7
--
.'`. Wolodja Wentland <babilen@gmail.com>
: :' :

Old 04-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Du, 03 apr 11, 08:46:33, Lisi wrote:

> For this reason I send by my ISP's STMP server - when the list will let me!
> It sometimes blocks my emails when I do this.

Did you try subscribing to the whitelist?
http://lists.debian.org/whitelist/

Regards,
Andrei

Old 04-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Lisi

On Thursday 07 April 2011 20:57:14 Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Du, 03 apr 11, 08:46:33, Lisi wrote:
> > For this reason I send by my ISP's STMP server - when the list will let
> > me! It sometimes blocks my emails when I do this.
>
> Did you try subscribing to the whitelist?
> http://lists.debian.org/whitelist/

Thanks, Andrei. I didn't know about it. I have just subscribed.

Lisi

Old 04-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Ken Heard