Old 02-09-2008, 01:51 AM
Butch Kemper

Default Ethernet card does not work after Mother Board Change

I built a system using 4.0r2 net-install and have kernel 2.6.18-5-k7
installed.

The motherboard failed and the replacement board has a different type
ethernet card.*

In the kern.log file, I can see the ethernet card is recognized and
called eth0 but:

********The card
is not connected to eth0 in ifconfig - there is no

********eth0.

********There is
not an interrupt level in /proc/interrupts for the

********ethernet
card.

********If I try
an ifup eth0, I get an error about a non-existant

********device.

I tried entering the driver name in /etc/modules but that does not
help.

I need some assistance on how to proceed to get the system to properly
setup the ethernet card.

Thanks.

Butch

Old 02-09-2008, 02:07 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 08:51:01PM -0600, Butch Kemper wrote:

> I built a system using 4.0r2 net-install and have kernel 2.6.18-5-k7
> installed.
>
> The motherboard failed and the replacement board has a different type
> ethernet card.
>
> In the kern.log file, I can see the ethernet card is recognized and
> called eth0 but:

If you see eth0 in dmesg then there is an eth0. Are you sure that it
doesn't get called eth1?

> The card is not connected to eth0 in ifconfig - there is no
> eth0.

Send us your /etc/network/interfaces

> There is not an interrupt level in /proc/interrupts for the
> ethernet card.

if nothing is accessing the card, then there will be no interrupts.

> If I try an ifup eth0, I get an error about a non-existant
> device.
>
> I tried entering the driver name in /etc/modules but that does not help.
>
> I need some assistance on how to proceed to get the system to
> properly setup the ethernet card.

I hate udev.

Doug.