Old 04-03-2011, 12:59 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

Default apt makes it easy to track the new package but hard to dump the old

In <87d3l4tc0o.fsf@jidanni.org>, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
>Why do I always have to clean up older versions by hand?
>
>E.g., linux-doc-2.6 pulls in the latest version automatically,
>but if I don't want an ever growing number of older versions accruing, I
>have to remove them by hand.
>
># apt-show-versions -r -p ^linux-doc
>linux-doc-2.6/unstable uptodate 1:2.6.38+33
>linux-doc-2.6.37 2.6.37-2 installed: No available version in archive
>linux-doc-2.6.38/unstable uptodate 2.6.38-2
>
>Sure 'do aptitude purge ~o often.' But that is still by hand.
>
>Why does apt make it easy to add the new version but lacks facilities to
>clean up the old versions? Safety yes. But still not environmentally
>friendly.

You may want to modify your APT settings. The "apt" package installs the
file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove file that contains this:
APT
{
NeverAutoRemove
{
"^firmware-linux.*";
"^linux-firmware$";
"^linux-image.*";
"^kfreebsd-image.*";
"^linux-restricted-modules.*";
"^linux-ubuntu-modules-.*";
};
// ..elided...
};

If you'd rather see these packges handled "normally" you can either edit this
file (although I recommend against it) or create a new file in
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d that alters or augments these settings.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 04-03-2011, 03:03 AM
Stephen Powell

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 20:27:19 -0400 (EDT), jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

> Why do I always have to clean up older versions by hand?
>
> E.g., linux-doc-2.6 pulls in the latest version automatically,
> but if I don't want an ever growing number of older versions accruing, I
> have to remove them by hand.
>
> # apt-show-versions -r -p ^linux-doc
> linux-doc-2.6/unstable uptodate 1:2.6.38+33
> linux-doc-2.6.37 2.6.37-2 installed: No available version in archive
> linux-doc-2.6.38/unstable uptodate 2.6.38-2
>
> Sure 'do aptitude purge ~o often.' But that is still by hand.
>
> Why does apt make it easy to add the new version but lacks facilities to
> clean up the old versions? Safety yes. But still not environmentally friendly.

Perhaps the "--purge-unused" option of aptitude is what you are looking for.
For example,

aptitude update
aptitude --purge-unused full-upgrade

If you don't want to have to remember to specify "--purge-unused" every time,
you can set the "Aptitude::Purge-Unused" option in /etc/apt/apt.conf.
If you use apt-get instead of aptitude, the corresponding option is simply
"--purge". For example,

apt-get --purge dist-upgrade

The corresponding configuration option would be "APT::Get::Purge".

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 04-05-2011, 03:01 AM

SP> Perhaps the "--purge-unused" option of aptitude is what you are looking for.
Naw, that only controls the difference between purging and just removing.
OK, this helped:
# aptitude markauto linux-doc-2.6.37
The following packages will be REMOVED:
linux-doc-2.6.37{pu} (for )
Hopefully that's the last time I'll need to do that manually.
OK, I'll not tamper with /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove .