Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Steve Kleene

Default accessing shared printed from virtualbox client

I have a Wheezy host, an XP virtualbox client, and an old LaserJet 5MP
configured with CUPS and connected by a parallel port. How can I access this
printer from the XP client?

In XP Add Printer, I tried to define a network printer at these URLs:

http://127.0.0.1:631/printers/LaserJet_5MP
http://192.168.1.2:631/printers/LaserJet_5MP

but they were not found. (192.168.1.2 is my port on a local router; ifconfig
shows it for eth0.) The CUPS interface at localhost:631 lists the connection
site as "parallel:/dev/lp0".

I have not set up Samba sharing. As shown below, /etc/cups/printers.conf
shows the printer as shared, and I thought that should suffice.

I gather virtualbox won't support the parallel-port connection directly. I
did succeed with a USB-to-parallel adapter cable and defining a USB printer,
but I'd rather use the CUPS shared printer if possible.

Thanks.

------------------------- /etc/cups/printers.conf -------------------------
<Printer LaserJet_5MP>
Info HP_LaserJet_5MP
Location office
MakeModel HP LaserJet 5MP Postscript (recommended)
DeviceURI parallel:/dev/lp0
State Idle
StateTime 1301774690
Type 8425540
Product (Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 5P)
Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -
Filter application/vnd.cups-command 0 commandtops
Filter application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 -
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0