Old 04-02-2011, 06:49 AM
Fumiaki Okushi

Default cannot go back from nouveau to nv

Hi,

I'm running Debian Squeeze amd64.
I'm trying to go back to using nv after trying to get nouveau working
and failed.

I purged the two packages I had to install to attempt nouveau:
- xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
- libdrm-nouveau1
and restored /etc/X11/xorg.conf to the one I was using with nv.

(Special note: xorg.conf is needed on my PC because the driver cannot
obtain the correct info to auto configure.)

I rebooted, but X won't work.
Near the end of Xorg.0.log has the following message:

(EE) NV: Kernel modesetting driver in use, refusing to load

Indeed, nouveau.ko and its dependent drivers (eg., drm_kms_heler.ko) are
still getting loaded.

What do I need to do to go back to using nv?

Thanks,
Fumi Okushi

Archive: 4D96C703.1010903@okushi.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D96C703.1010903@okushi.com

Old 04-02-2011, 07:34 AM
Kent West

On 4/2/11 1:49 AM, Fumiaki Okushi wrote:
> I rebooted, but X won't work.
> Near the end of Xorg.0.log has the following message:
>
> (EE) NV: Kernel modesetting driver in use, refusing to load
>
> Indeed, nouveau.ko and its dependent drivers (eg., drm_kms_heler.ko)
> are still getting loaded.
>
> What do I need to do to go back to using nv?

I'm not sure, but I think you'll need to blacklist the nouveau kernel
module (as opposed to the nouveau X driver). Add a line to the end of
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:

blacklist nouveau

and reboot. See if that works for you.

--
Kent

Old 04-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Erwan David

On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 09:34:10AM CEST, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> said:
> On 4/2/11 1:49 AM, Fumiaki Okushi wrote:
> > I rebooted, but X won't work.
> > Near the end of Xorg.0.log has the following message:
> >
> > (EE) NV: Kernel modesetting driver in use, refusing to load
> >
> > Indeed, nouveau.ko and its dependent drivers (eg., drm_kms_heler.ko)
> > are still getting loaded.
> >
> > What do I need to do to go back to using nv?
> >

> I'm not sure, but I think you'll need to blacklist the nouveau kernel
> module (as opposed to the nouveau X driver). Add a line to the end of
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:
>
> blacklist nouveau
>
> and reboot. See if that works for you.

Better also check wether nouveau did blacklist the nv kernel module...

Old 04-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2011-04-02 08:49 +0200, Fumiaki Okushi wrote:

> I'm running Debian Squeeze amd64.
> I'm trying to go back to using nv after trying to get nouveau working
> and failed.

I'm sorry that nouveau did not work for you. Could you please elaborate
what the problem was?

> I purged the two packages I had to install to attempt nouveau:
> - xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
> - libdrm-nouveau1

Removing these packages is neither necessary nor helpful.

> I rebooted, but X won't work.
> Near the end of Xorg.0.log has the following message:
>
> (EE) NV: Kernel modesetting driver in use, refusing to load
>
> Indeed, nouveau.ko and its dependent drivers (eg., drm_kms_heler.ko)
> are still getting loaded.
>
> What do I need to do to go back to using nv?

Blacklist the nouveau module or boot with nouveau.modeset=0. See
http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting.

Sven

Old 04-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Brian

On Sat 02 Apr 2011 at 09:43:55 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:

> Blacklist the nouveau module or boot with nouveau.modeset=0. See
> http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting.

Having

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nouveau.modeset=0"

in /etc/default/grub saves some typing at every boot.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:04 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2011-04-02 09:43 +0200, Erwan David wrote:

> Better also check wether nouveau did blacklist the nv kernel module...

There is no nv kernel module, and nouveau does not blacklist anything.

Sven

Old 04-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Fumiaki Okushi

Near the end of Xorg.0.log has the following message:

(EE) NV: Kernel modesetting driver in use, refusing to load

Indeed, nouveau.ko and its dependent drivers (eg., drm_kms_heler.ko)
are still getting loaded.

What do I need to do to go back to using nv?

I'm not sure, but I think you'll need to blacklist the nouveau kernel
module (as opposed to the nouveau X driver). Add a line to the end of
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:

blacklist nouveau

and reboot. See if that works for you.

Thanks for your response.
Yes, that works and I have that change made.
However, shouldn't that not be required?
I mean, if I install a package, didn't like it, and decide to purge it,
shouldn't things go back to normal?
It seems to me that my trying to get nouveau working caused some
unknown changes to the system and purging the package didn't undo that change.

Thanks,
Fumi Okushi

Archive: 4D96DAEA.5050905@okushi.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D96DAEA.5050905@okushi.com

Old 04-02-2011, 08:24 AM