Old 04-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Ron Johnson

Default cannot go back from nouveau to nv

On 04/02/2011 12:44 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
[snip]

My video card has a RIVA TNT2 chipset, which is no longer supported by
the proprietary nvidia driver. (The legacy 71xx driver supports it,

Time to accept the reality that time has passed by the Riva TNT2.

NewEgg sells an AGP8X GeForce 5200 for $30 and GeForce 6200 for $35, and
they might be even cheaper on eBay.

corrupt."

Archive: 4D97841D.8030703@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D97841D.8030703@cox.net

Old 04-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2011-04-02 22:16 +0200, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 04/02/2011 12:44 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> My video card has a RIVA TNT2 chipset, which is no longer supported by
>> the proprietary nvidia driver. (The legacy 71xx driver supports it,
>
> Time to accept the reality that time has passed by the Riva TNT2.
>
> NewEgg sells an AGP8X GeForce 5200 for $30 and GeForce 6200 for $35,
> and they might be even cheaper on eBay.

The only question is whether any of these cards will be compatible¹ with
the AGP slot in Stephen's board.

Sven

¹ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Graphics_Port#Compatibility

Old 04-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Stephen Powell

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 16:16:29 -0400 (EDT), Ron Johnson wrote:

> Time to accept the reality that time has passed by the Riva TNT2.
>
> NewEgg sells an AGP8X GeForce 5200 for $30 and GeForce 6200 for $35, and
> they might be even cheaper on eBay.

I replace hardware when it no longer meets my needs (hard disk too small,
not enough RAM, etc.) That is not the case here. The hardware works
perfectly, and it meets my needs. I'll download the source code for
nv and compile it myself if I have to, rather than throw away perfectly
good hardware. If I get to the point where I can no longer make it
work, I'll replace the monitor. I've got four monitors lying around
in the basement that I'm not using. And I've also got three other
computers lying around that I'm not using. I'll bet that at least
one of them has a video card with a supported driver that supports
interlacing, and I can use the monitor I'm using now with one of them.
But it's good to know that cheap video cards are available.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 04-02-2011, 09:39 PM