Old 04-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Hal Vaughan

Default rsyncd.conf - Specifying /home/user for Daemon?

Anything I search for to find this keeps giving me links to backing up your home directory, and I know how to do that.

What I'm concerned with is setting the home directory in /etc/rsyncd.conf. In other words, if I type:

rsync thisdir me@backupsys::Backup

How can I specify in rsyncd.conf that it's using /home/me/Backup?

I've tried something like this:

[Backup]
path = $HOME/Backup/
Comment = Backup service for each individual user
read only = no

and I can't get that to work. I tried using "~/Backup" for the path and using RSYNC_USER_NAME and %u, but that won't work. So how can I specify, in rsyncd.conf that the path leads to a directory in the home directory of the logged in rsync user?

Thanks for any help on this!

Hal

Old 01-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Nicolas Bercher

Hal Vaughan a écrit :

Anything I search for to find this keeps giving me links to backing up your home directory, and I know how to do that.

What I'm concerned with is setting the home directory in /etc/rsyncd.conf. In other words, if I type:

rsync thisdir me@backupsys::Backup

How can I specify in rsyncd.conf that it's using /home/me/Backup?

I've tried something like this:

[Backup]
path = $HOME/Backup/
Comment = Backup service for each individual user
read only = no

and I can't get that to work. I tried using "~/Backup" for the path and using RSYNC_USER_NAME and %u, but that won't work. So how can I specify, in rsyncd.conf that the path leads to a directory in the home directory of the logged in rsync user?

Thanks for any help on this!

Can't you write a rule per homedir (user) to backup? If you have
too many users to do it by hand, you may write a script that
automatically updates /etc/rsyncd.conf.

For example, I do this to maintain /etc/fstab and /etc/hosts on a few
computers, by concatenating /etc/<conf>.d/* to /etc/<conf> see this
script:

https://github.com/Atha/update-conf.d/

Nicolas