Old 04-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Klistvud

Default OpenOffice.org - how to install additional languages?

Dne, 01. 04. 2011 16:40:37 je Camaleón napisal(a):

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 16:32:16 +0200, Klistvud wrote:

> Dne, 01. 04. 2011 15:30:37 je Camaleón napisal(a):

>> Hum... Does italian appears under Tools/Language/* (any of the
submenus

>> here)? :-?
>
> Yes it does. If I activate the spell-checker (F7) in Writer, it just
> says "Spell Checking done", without actually doing any spell
checking.
> In the dialog window, the "Language" drop down menu is empty as if
the
> language wasn't installed. I've discovered now that it is the same
with
> my native language, Slovenian. If I change the document language to
US

> English, otoh, everything works as expected: misspelled words get
> underlined in red, and pressing F7 does a thorough spell-check. So,
the
> languages seem to be set up correctly, but their spell checkers
seem to
> be missing. US English must be the only spell-checker that's
installed.
> Installing openoffice.org-l10n-sl and openoffice.org-l10n-it
achieved

> nothing.

Check your "thesaurus" packages (dpkg -l | grep -i thesaurus) and look
for the OOo's italian one ("-i10n" packages are mostly for the UI -
localization-).

ii libmythes-1.2-0
2:1.2.1-1 simple thesaurus library
ii openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-us
1:3.2.1-2 English Thesaurus for OpenOffice.org
ii openoffice.org-thesaurus-it
2.0.7.gh.deb1-1.1 Italian Thesaurus for OpenOffice.org 2

It's installed, apparenly...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.04.01.14.40.36@gmail.com

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 16:48:25 +0200, Klistvud wrote:

> Dne, 01. 04. 2011 16:40:37 je Camaleón napisal(a):

>> Check your "thesaurus" packages (dpkg -l | grep -i thesaurus) and look
>> for the OOo's italian one ("-i10n" packages are mostly for the UI -
>> localization-).
>
> ii libmythes-1.2-0
> 2:1.2.1-1 simple thesaurus library ii
> openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-us
> 1:3.2.1-2 English Thesaurus for OpenOffice.org
> ii openoffice.org-thesaurus-it
> 2.0.7.gh.deb1-1.1 Italian Thesaurus for OpenOffice.org 2
>
> It's installed, apparenly...

How weird :-?

Well, if we attend to this notice:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries

"(...) IMPORTANT NOTE: From OpenOffice.org 3.0 on the dictionary wizard
is no longer available -- All new dictionaries are now available via the
Extensions Repository."

You may try the extension (as suggested) and check if that works:

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/Dict_it_IT

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Klistvud

Dne, 01. 04. 2011 17:02:53 je Camaleón napisal(a):

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 16:48:25 +0200, Klistvud wrote:

> Dne, 01. 04. 2011 16:40:37 je Camaleón napisal(a):

>> Check your "thesaurus" packages (dpkg -l | grep -i thesaurus) and
look

>> for the OOo's italian one ("-i10n" packages are mostly for the UI -
>> localization-).
>
> ii libmythes-1.2-0
> 2:1.2.1-1 simple thesaurus library ii
> openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-us
> 1:3.2.1-2 English Thesaurus for
OpenOffice.org

> ii openoffice.org-thesaurus-it
> 2.0.7.gh.deb1-1.1 Italian Thesaurus for
OpenOffice.org 2

> It's installed, apparenly...

How weird :-?

Well, if we attend to this notice:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries

"(...) IMPORTANT NOTE: From OpenOffice.org 3.0 on the
dictionary wizard
is no longer available -- All new dictionaries are now available via
the

Extensions Repository."

You may try the extension (as suggested) and check if that works:

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/Dict_it_IT

OK, thanks, Camaleón, I'll try that over the weekend.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Clive Standbridge

> So, the languages seem to be set up correctly, but their spell
> checkers seem to be missing. US English must be the only
> spell-checker that's installed. Installing openoffice.org-l10n-sl
> and openoffice.org-l10n-it achieved nothing.

It looks like you need to install myspell-it and myspell-sl packages.

--
Cheers,
Clive

Old 04-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Klistvud

Dne, 01. 04. 2011 18:33:51 je Clive Standbridge napisal(a):

> So, the languages seem to be set up correctly, but their spell
> checkers seem to be missing. US English must be the only
> spell-checker that's installed. Installing openoffice.org-l10n-sl
> and openoffice.org-l10n-it achieved nothing.

It looks like you need to install myspell-it and myspell-sl packages.

Is myspell used by openoffice? Anyway, Camaleon's suggestion helped. I
went to the openoffice site, downloaded the spell checkers and
installed them through the Writer extensions "wizard".

Old 04-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Klistvud

You may try the extension (as suggested) and check if that works:

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/Dict_it_IT

OK, thanks, Camaleón, I'll try that over the weekend.

I tried it and it worked. Thanks, Camaleón.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Clive Standbridge

> > It looks like you need to install myspell-it and myspell-sl packages.
>
> Is myspell used by openoffice?

Yes according to the package descriptions:

This is the Italian dictionary for use with the myspell spellchecker
which is currently used within OpenOffice.org and the mozilla
spellchecker

This package contains a Slovenian myspell dictionary , which will give
openoffice.org and mozilla users the ability to automatically spellcheck
and hyphenate Slovenian text.

> Anyway, Camaleon's suggestion helped. I went to the openoffice site,
> downloaded the spell checkers and installed them through the Writer
> extensions "wizard".

Okay, good :-)

--
Cheers,
Clive

Old 04-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Lisi

On Friday 01 April 2011 16:02:53 Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 16:48:25 +0200, Klistvud wrote:
> > Dne, 01. 04. 2011 16:40:37 je Camaleón napisal(a):
> >> Check your "thesaurus" packages (dpkg -l | grep -i thesaurus) and look
> >> for the OOo's italian one ("-i10n" packages are mostly for the UI -
> >> localization-).
> >
> > ii libmythes-1.2-0
> > 2:1.2.1-1 simple thesaurus library ii
> > openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-us
> > 1:3.2.1-2 English Thesaurus for OpenOffice.org
> > ii openoffice.org-thesaurus-it
> > 2.0.7.gh.deb1-1.1 Italian Thesaurus for OpenOffice.org 2
> >
> > It's installed, apparenly...
>
> How weird :-?
>
> Well, if we attend to this notice:
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries
>
> "(...) IMPORTANT NOTE: From OpenOffice.org 3.0 on the dictionary wizard
> is no longer available -- All new dictionaries are now available via the
> Extensions Repository."
>
> You may try the extension (as suggested) and check if that works:
>
> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/Dict_it_IT
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

And what about English English?? Surely a reasonable concept, but:

Dutch Nederlands Dutch spelling and hyphenation Dictionary
Engligh English Chemistry Dictionary
English English dictionaries with fixed dash handling and new ligature and
phonetic suggestion support
English (Australian) English (Australian) English Australian Dictionary
English (Canadian) English (Canadian) Canadian English Spell Checking,
Hyphenation and Thesaurus
English (New Zealand) English (New Zealand) English New Zealand Dictionary
English (South African) English (South African) South African English spell
checking dictionary
English (US) English (US) US English Spell Checking Dictionary
Esperanto Esperanto Esperantilo - spell check, grammar checker and thesaurus
for Esperanto language

(Lines before and after shown to illustrate that I have not simply omitted it.
It actually belongs between Canada and New Zealand.)

When is English English going to get a look in?? I work in OOo without a
spell checker because I am so fed up with being told that honor is right and
honour is wrong, fantasize is right and fantasise is wrong. Etc. And I like
to use a spell checker because I am a lousy typist and an even worse
proof-reader.

My lovely Kmail spell checker just tried to correct honor and fantasize!!

US, OK. I don't like it, but they are numerous. But Australian, Canadian,
New Zealand and South Africa get a mention and we don't. It is called
English. Surely the English English should get a look in??

Lisi

Old 04-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Liam O'Toole

On 2011-04-01, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
--- SNIP ---
> When is English English going to get a look in?? I work in OOo without a
> spell checker because I am so fed up with being told that honor is right and
> honour is wrong, fantasize is right and fantasise is wrong. Etc. And I like
> to use a spell checker because I am a lousy typist and an even worse
> proof-reader.
>
> My lovely Kmail spell checker just tried to correct honor and fantasize!!
>
> US, OK. I don't like it, but they are numerous. But Australian, Canadian,
> New Zealand and South Africa get a mention and we don't. It is called
> English. Surely the English English should get a look in??

In the case of OOo, install the myspell-en-gb package. (It goes by
country code, not region). I don't know what spell checker kmail uses.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

Old 04-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Lisi

On Friday 01 April 2011 23:23:33 Liam O'Toole wrote:
> In the case of OOo, install the myspell-en-gb package. (It goes by
> country code, not region). I don't know what spell checker kmail uses.

Thanks, Liam. I have tried frequently over the past few years and never
succeeded in getting en-gb. So I was trying to follow Camaleón's advice to
use extensions. That list was the list of extensions.

Now that I have the myspell-en-gb package, how do I persuade OOo to use it?

Lisi