Old 04-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Klistvud

Default OpenOffice.org - how to install additional languages?

Howdie, fellow Debianites!

I'm running stock Gnome/Squeeze and would like to have spell-checkers
and thesauri enabled in my OpenOffice for a couple other languages
besides English and Slovenian (my native language). I've installed all
the language-related and OpenOffice.org-related and italian-related
packages I could think of, but still no go. What do I have to do to
have multilanguage (specifically, Italian language) support in
OpenOffice? Does Debian provide for that, or do I have to download
stuff manually from the openoffice.org website?

Help much appreciated. I am quite at a loss here.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 11:24:00 +0200, Klistvud wrote:

> I'm running stock Gnome/Squeeze and would like to have spell-checkers
> and thesauri enabled in my OpenOffice for a couple other languages
> besides English and Slovenian (my native language). I've installed all
> the language-related and OpenOffice.org-related and italian-related
> packages I could think of, but still no go. What do I have to do to have
> multilanguage (specifically, Italian language) support in OpenOffice?
> Does Debian provide for that, or do I have to download stuff manually
> from the openoffice.org website?

Hum... Does italian appears under Tools/Language/* (any of the submenus
here)? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Klistvud

Dne, 01. 04. 2011 15:30:37 je Camaleón napisal(a):

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 11:24:00 +0200, Klistvud wrote:

> I'm running stock Gnome/Squeeze and would like to have
spell-checkers

> and thesauri enabled in my OpenOffice for a couple other languages
> besides English and Slovenian (my native language). I've installed
all

> the language-related and OpenOffice.org-related and italian-related
> packages I could think of, but still no go. What do I have to do to
have
> multilanguage (specifically, Italian language) support in
OpenOffice?
> Does Debian provide for that, or do I have to download stuff
manually

> from the openoffice.org website?

Hum... Does italian appears under Tools/Language/* (any of the
submenus

here)? :-?

Yes it does. If I activate the spell-checker (F7) in Writer, it just
says "Spell Checking done", without actually doing any spell checking.
In the dialog window, the "Language" drop down menu is empty as if the
language wasn't installed. I've discovered now that it is the same with
my native language, Slovenian. If I change the document language to US
English, otoh, everything works as expected: misspelled words get
underlined in red, and pressing F7 does a thorough spell-check. So, the
languages seem to be set up correctly, but their spell checkers seem to
be missing. US English must be the only spell-checker that's installed.
Installing openoffice.org-l10n-sl and openoffice.org-l10n-it achieved
nothing.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 16:32:16 +0200, Klistvud wrote:

> Dne, 01. 04. 2011 15:30:37 je Camaleón napisal(a):

>> Hum... Does italian appears under Tools/Language/* (any of the submenus
>> here)? :-?
>
> Yes it does. If I activate the spell-checker (F7) in Writer, it just
> says "Spell Checking done", without actually doing any spell checking.
> In the dialog window, the "Language" drop down menu is empty as if the
> language wasn't installed. I've discovered now that it is the same with
> my native language, Slovenian. If I change the document language to US
> English, otoh, everything works as expected: misspelled words get
> underlined in red, and pressing F7 does a thorough spell-check. So, the
> languages seem to be set up correctly, but their spell checkers seem to
> be missing. US English must be the only spell-checker that's installed.
> Installing openoffice.org-l10n-sl and openoffice.org-l10n-it achieved
> nothing.

Check your "thesaurus" packages (dpkg -l | grep -i thesaurus) and look
for the OOo's italian one ("-i10n" packages are mostly for the UI -
localization-).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón