Old 04-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Liam O'Toole

Default Debian was hacked: The Canterbury Distribution

On 2011-04-01, Freeman <hewho7@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 05:16:37AM +0200, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
>> Hello List,
>>
>> right now, the Official Debian site seems hacked by The Canterbury Distribution.
>>
>> I guess it is a joke.
>>

> 04/01/11 !

What does the 4th of January have to do with it??!!!!

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

Old 04-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Lisi

On Friday 01 April 2011 10:05:54 Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2011-04-01, Freeman <hewho7@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 05:16:37AM +0200, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> >> Hello List,
> >>
> >> right now, the Official Debian site seems hacked by The Canterbury
> >> Distribution.
> >>
> >> I guess it is a joke.
> >
> > 04/01/11 !
>
> What does the 4th of January have to do with it??!!!!

Perhaps on an international list we should say the month names as Liam has
here. Otherwise one is playing guessing games to work out the upbringing of
any writer who uses an ambiguous form for the date. In this case the context
made guessing easy, but that is rarely the case.

Lisi

Old 04-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Alexander Reichle-Schmehl

Hi Jerome!

* Jerome BENOIT <g6299304p@rezozer.net> [110401 05:16]:

> right now, the Official Debian site seems hacked by The Canterbury Distribution.
>
> I guess it is a joke.

It's neither a hack nor a joke. See our announcement at
http://www.debian.org/News/2011/20110401

Best Regards,
Alexander, Press Office and Developer

Old 04-01-2011, 09:41 AM
mikie mike

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> right now, the Official Debian site seems hacked by The Canterbury Distribution.
>>> I guess it is a joke.
>> 04/01/11 !
> What does the 4th of January have to do with it??!!!!

I think it is rather about that famous date of 11th of January 2004

Old 04-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Klistvud

Dne, 01. 04. 2011 11:37:32 je Alexander Reichle-Schmehl napisal(a):

Hi Jerome!

* Jerome BENOIT <g6299304p@rezozer.net> [110401 05:16]:

> right now, the Official Debian site seems hacked by The Canterbury
Distribution.

> I guess it is a joke.

It's neither a hack nor a joke. See our announcement at
http://www.debian.org/News/2011/20110401

Best Regards,
Alexander, Press Office and Developer

Yeah, right. Citing OpenSUSE for its "open-mindedness" -- is that what
it's called now?

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 01/04/11 20:17, Lisi wrote:
> On Friday 01 April 2011 10:05:54 Liam O'Toole wrote:

>>> 04/01/11 !
>>
>> What does the 4th of January have to do with it??!!!!
>
> Perhaps on an international list we should say the month names as Liam has
> here. Otherwise one is playing guessing games to work out the upbringing of
> any writer who uses an ambiguous form for the date. In this case the context
> made guessing easy, but that is rarely the case.
>
> Lisi

The North American date format wasn't that hard to work out - though I
suspect Liam is taking the p1ss (2 weeks late?).

what I don't understand is why anyone thought that debian.org had been
"hacked" (the debian.org joke being that an alliance of community
distros had been formed).

I particularly enjoyed:-

"Robin H. Johnson, lead of the Gentoo Infrastructure team, in a panel of
core Gentoo developers at SCALE9x: "I really hate compiling-induced
downtime. I've been looking forward to installing packages with just a
couple of keystrokes. By building on the efforts of other successful
distributions, we can take the drudgery out of system maintenance.""

:-D

--
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.
There must be some mistake.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Nate Bargmann

* On 2011 01 Apr 04:39 -0500, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> Hi Jerome!
>
> * Jerome BENOIT <g6299304p@rezozer.net> [110401 05:16]:
>
> > right now, the Official Debian site seems hacked by The Canterbury Distribution.
> >
> > I guess it is a joke.
>
> It's neither a hack nor a joke. See our announcement at
> http://www.debian.org/News/2011/20110401

Just be careful what is tossed out there even as a clever April Fools
joke. Sometimes they become the real thing.

Had this included Fedora it would be very difficult to pass this off as
joke. Still, the idea of the various community distributions working in
closer harmony is good for our community. Checking the Debian, Arch,
and OpenSUSE homepages just now and the fact that the same Canterbury
Distribution page is on each, shows that this is an unprecedented level
of visible cooperation between the projects. I think that there will
now be a desire for more visible cooperation between the projects where
it is feasable.

Be careful what you wish for. :-)

- Nate >>

Old 04-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 10:17:42 +0100, Lisi wrote:

>> > 04/01/11 !
>>
>> What does the 4th of January have to do with it??!!!!
>
> Perhaps on an international list we should say the month names as Liam
> has here. Otherwise one is playing guessing games to work out the
> upbringing of any writer who uses an ambiguous form for the date. In
> this case the context made guessing easy, but that is rarely the case.

Not only date format can be a problem but its full meaning, as not every
country is aware of this "special day".

Here in Spain we celebrate it on December 28th instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Fools%27_Day#Other_prank_days_in_the_world

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Kelly Clowers

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 20:24, Freeman <hewho7@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 05:16:37AM +0200, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
>> Hello List,
>>
>> right now, the Official Debian site seems hacked by The Canterbury Distribution.
>>
>> I guess it is a joke.
>>

> 04/01/11 !

January 11th, 2004? huh?

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 04-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Jörg-Volker Peetz

The community distributions have already worked close together and coordinated
the solution of common issues, e.g., the top-level "/run" directory, see
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-March/150031.html
Jörg-Volker.