Old 04-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Klistvud

Default WLAN stick

Dne, 01. 04. 2011 09:37:21 je Paul van der Vlis napisal(a):

Hello,

Does somebody know here a buyable USB WLAN stick what works out of the
box with Debian stable? (I don't have big problems with firmware from
the non-free repository)

I know the "Sweex Wireless 54G adapter USB" works out-of-the-box, but
the quality of the WLAN connection is really bad and slow.

Netgear WG111 (at least up to version v3 should work). The quality of
the v3 which I have is quite good.

Or, alternatively, you could take a Debian laptop to the store and ask
them to let you test their selection of WLAN sticks ?...

Or, alternatively, you could consult one of the numerous Linux HCL's
now available, although they tend to be slightly outdated.

Oh, yes -- I personally strongly advise against buying a Belkin. They
seem to ignore the existence of Linux and generally suck at support.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Paul van der Vlis

Op 01-04-11 09:57, Klistvud schreef:
> Dne, 01. 04. 2011 09:37:21 je Paul van der Vlis napisal(a):
>> Hello,
>>
>> Does somebody know here a buyable USB WLAN stick what works out of the
>> box with Debian stable? (I don't have big problems with firmware from
>> the non-free repository)
>>
>> I know the "Sweex Wireless 54G adapter USB" works out-of-the-box, but
>> the quality of the WLAN connection is really bad and slow.
>>

> Netgear WG111 (at least up to version v3 should work). The quality of
> the v3 which I have is quite good.

Hmmm. This stick is difficult to buy here... I think it's a bit old.

> Or, alternatively, you could take a Debian laptop to the store and ask
> them to let you test their selection of WLAN sticks ?...

That's an option, but when I want to test if it works well, then I also
need an access point and a password. But I can also buy them when I see
a network and test it at home.

> Or, alternatively, you could consult one of the numerous Linux HCL's now
> available, although they tend to be slightly outdated.

Not sure what an HCL is. I think you mean a website with information.
I found here something: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Devices/USB
It can tell after some searching if a device is supported.
But it's a difficult thing to find which is the best to buy.

Is here somebody who can tell which driver/chipset or vendor is good?

> Oh, yes -- I personally strongly advise against buying a Belkin. They
> seem to ignore the existence of Linux and generally suck at support.

OK, thanks for the information!

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--