Old 04-01-2011, 07:00 AM
Scott Ferguson

Default Package ms-windows promoted from non-free to main!

On 01/04/11 17:27, Klistvud wrote:
> Howdie, fellow Debianites!
>
> I'm cross-posting this from debian-project because IMHO it's important
> news.
>
> As of yesterday, the package ms-windows (a virtual package comprising
> ms-windows-xp, ms-windows-vista and ms-windows-7) has finally left
> non-free and entered main! This has been achieved by weeding out all the
> binary blobs, drivers and other proprietary data -- a big and
> time-consuming effort. The non-DFSG-compliant binaries are now
> consolidated into ms-windows-proprietary, and available from the
> non-free repository.
>
> Kudos to Debian developers!

With the greatest respect.... you are mistaken.
ms-windows-xp still has another three years before testing has finished,
ms-windows-vista is the codename for ms-windows-me, and ms-windows-7 has
an "anticipated" freeze date of December, after which it will enter beta
testing.

In other news, release of the next generation ms product codenamed
midori is scheduled for next year. For those that don't know, midori is
a complete rework of ms-windoof, written completely in C#, and is 100%
posix comformant.

Cheers

--
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.
There must be some mistake.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 08:27:53 +0200, Klistvud wrote:

> I'm cross-posting this from debian-project because IMHO it's important
> news.

Hum... this has a weird smell. No sources to the original news? ;-)

> As of yesterday, the package ms-windows (a virtual package comprising
> ms-windows-xp, ms-windows-vista and ms-windows-7) has finally left
> non-free and entered main! This has been achieved by weeding out all the
> binary blobs, drivers and other proprietary data -- a big and
> time-consuming effort. The non-DFSG-compliant binaries are now
> consolidated into ms-windows-proprietary, and available from the
> non-free repository.
>
> Kudos to Debian developers!

Yuhuu!

apt-get install ms-windows ms-windows-proprietary

(that should be enough...)

The W-day has come and I want them all }:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Klistvud

apt-get install ms-windows ms-windows-proprietary

(that should be enough...)

The W-day has come and I want them all }:-)

Naah, just imagine all the dependencies that would bring in. Beware of
Geeks bearing gifts!

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:34 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 02/04/11 00:11, � wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 08:27:53 +0200, Klistvud wrote:
>
>> I'm cross-posting this from debian-project because IMHO it's important
>> news.
>
> Hum... this has a weird smell. No sources to the original news? ;-)

Appropriately - ICS (ics.sans.org) labelled the 1st of April as "Open
Source Intelligence Analysts Day"

quote:-
"the one day of the year that we all have to be extra-suspicious of
every news article, blog post and tweet. It's a good skill to develop,
and we have this unique time where we know that there are hidden gems of
disinformation being introduced into the streams of information we've
come to rely on the rest of the year."

:-D

<snipped>

--
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.
There must be some mistake.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:03 AM
Ken Heard

Old 04-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Lisi

On Saturday 02 April 2011 07:03:20 Ken Heard wrote:
> Equo ne credite Teucri.
> Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos, et dona ferentes.
>
> Do not trust the horse, Trojans.
> Whatever it is, I fear the Greeks bearing gifts.

I fear the Greeks _even_ when they bear gifts. That "et" is important!

Lisi

Old 04-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Ken Heard