Old 03-31-2011, 05:32 PM

Default Re (2): dreaded ethernet device renaming

From: briand@aracnet.com
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 07:34:32 -0700
> It seems to me that this is a really ugly user trap, even if it's a
> trap you get into replacing the old motherboard.

In the Linux world, udev is really a beautiful way of handling
contemporary peripheral devices. eth0, eth1 ... worked for the
ISA bus. Now devices are hot-swappable. A more general naming
mechanism is needed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_swapping

> It was already eth0, what possible reason could it have to go rename it.

You added a NIC which udev hadn't identified previously?
udev decided to call it eth0? Something similar?

udev was doing its best under the conditions you imposed and
you can easily give each NIC a unique name. Here is an example.
"http://142.103.107.138/NetworksPage.html#NICnames"
If it doesn't make sense let me know.

Just for sake of interest, device management in A2 has automatically
assigned meaningful names since several years ago. Nothing such as
/etc/udev/rules.d/*.rules is involved.
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluebottle_OS"

Regards, ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 450 2132.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:39 AM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:32:18 -0800
peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:

> From: briand@aracnet.com
> Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 07:34:32 -0700
> > It seems to me that this is a really ugly user trap, even if it's a
> > trap you get into replacing the old motherboard.
>
> In the Linux world, udev is really a beautiful way of handling
> contemporary peripheral devices. eth0, eth1 ... worked for the
> ISA bus. Now devices are hot-swappable. A more general naming
> mechanism is needed.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_swapping
>
> > It was already eth0, what possible reason could it have to go
> > rename it.
>
> You added a NIC which udev hadn't identified previously?
> udev decided to call it eth0? Something similar?

no the problem was that it appended a new device at the end of the old
file. the old file applied to the previous motherboard (I kept the
same disk). so then when I brought up the new motherboard it
apparently kept the old devices and tacked the new eth onto the end, so
eth0 ended up being renamed eth3.

I see why though. a device might come and go and you want it to keep
the same name. so udev can't assume the devices are "gone", they might
just be "resting". beatiful plumage, the norwegian blue.

brian