Old 03-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Freeman

Default aptitude upgrade

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 04:17:52PM -0400, Chris Brennan wrote:
> My laptop was off for about a week and when I fired it up today, I ran an
> update and then an upgrade on my squeeze install and today I noticed this
>
> [snip]
> root@Blackdragon:~# aptitude upgrade
> apache2.2-bin bind9-host dnsutils gdm3 google-chrome-stable host
> libbind9-60 libdns69 libisc62 libisccc60 libisccfg62 liblwres60 libmozjs2d
> libnss3-1d xulrunner-1.9.1
> 15 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 36.1 MB of archives. After unpacking 1,000 kB will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] n
> Abort.
> root@Blackdragon:~#
> [/snip]
>
> So why the hell is apache being installed/upgraded on a desktop install w/
> no "server" services?

Maybe

apt-cache rdepends --installed apache2

Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody

Old 03-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Chris Brennan

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Matt Harrison <matt.harrison82@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>

> wrote:

>> On Mi, 30 mar 11, 16:17:52, Chris Brennan wrote:

>> > So why the hell is apache being installed/upgraded on a desktop install

>> > w/

>> > no "server" services?

>> It's being upgraded, which means it is already installed on your system.

>> Try 'aptitude why apache2.2-bin', maybe it will shed some light on why

>> it is installed.

>> Regards,

>> Andrei

>> --

>> Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:

> Ya I just did that and it was installed because of gnome .... I don't

> remember installing gnome ... when I installed my laptop, I chose no WM nor

> X as I wanted to learn how to do it *the debian way* using apt-get/aptitude.

> I went from X to fluxbox and gnome wasn't an inbetween. I imagine some deps

> where installed with other packages but upon checking .... I have a full

> gnome install and I *know* I didn't install it, so I am left scratching my

> head.

> [snip]

> root@Blackdragon:~# aptitude why apache2.2-bin

> i * gnome * * * * * * * * * * Depends gnome-desktop-environment (= 1:2.30+7)

> i A gnome-desktop-environment Depends gnome-user-share (>= 2.30)

> i A gnome-user-share** * * * *Depends apache2.2-bin

> root@Blackdragon:~#

> [/snip]

> --

> Did you know...

> If you play a Windows 2000 CD backwards, you hear satanic messages,

> but what's worse is when you play it forward....

> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ...it installs Windows 2000

> * *-- Alfred Perlstein on chat at freebsd.org

Do you have GDM installed by chance? *I noticed the same thing on my

XFCE install and the only thing I could trace to gnome dependencies

was GDM.

Indeed, I do have gdm3 .... it appears I have a full gnome install but why does gdm depend on a webserver?*

-- Alfred Perlstein on chat at freebsd.org

Old 03-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Chris Brennan

All this does is list the 4 MPM types repeatedly ...
[snip]root@Blackdragon:~# apt-cache rdepends --installed apache2

...** *apache2-mpm-itk** *apache2-mpm-event** *apache2-mpm-prefork** *apache2-mpm-worker...root@Blackdragon:~# apt-cache rdepends --installed apache2 | wc -l

543root@Blackdragon:~#*

Old 03-30-2011, 08:58 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On 2011-03-30 15:36:49 Chris Brennan wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Andrei Popescu
><andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's being upgraded, which means it is already installed on your system.
>> Try 'aptitude why apache2.2-bin', maybe it will shed some light on why
>> it is installed.
>
>Ya I just did that and it was installed because of gnome .... I don't
>remember installing gnome ... when I installed my laptop, I chose no WM nor
>X as I wanted to learn how to do it *the debian way* using apt-get/aptitude.
>I went from X to fluxbox and gnome wasn't an inbetween. I imagine some deps
>where installed with other packages but upon checking .... I have a full
>gnome install and I *know* I didn't install it, so I am left scratching my
>head.
>
>[snip]
>root@Blackdragon:~# aptitude why apache2.2-bin
>i gnome Depends gnome-desktop-environment (= 1:2.30+7)
>i A gnome-desktop-environment Depends gnome-user-share (>= 2.30)
>i A gnome-user-share Depends apache2.2-bin
>root@Blackdragon:~#
>[/snip]

Well, gnome is listed an not automatically installed, so it wasn't brought it
by apt-get or aptitude trying to satisfy dependencies, or you have since
marked it as not automatically installed. Tasksel and similar tools usually
don't mark the packages they install as automatically installed so it might
have been installed by one of those. Pbuilder and variants also sometimes
install packages in a way so they are not marked automatically installed.

If you don't want it, mark it as automatically installed, let apt-get/aptitude
clean up, and if it is still around, repeat the why invocation.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 03-31-2011, 06:54 PM
Freeman

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 04:54:36PM -0400, Chris Brennan wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 4:47 PM, Freeman <hewho7@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Maybe
> >
> > apt-cache rdepends --installed apache2
> >

> All this does is list the 4 MPM types repeatedly ...
>
> [snip]
> root@Blackdragon:~# apt-cache rdepends --installed apache2
> apache2-mpm-itk
> apache2-mpm-event