Old 03-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Chris Brennan

Default aptitude upgrade

My laptop was off for about a week and when I fired it up today, I ran an update and then an upgrade on my squeeze install and today I noticed this
[snip]root@Blackdragon:~# aptitude upgrade

The following packages will be upgraded:***apache2.2-bin bind9-host dnsutils gdm3 google-chrome-stable host libbind9-60 libdns69 libisc62 libisccc60 libisccfg62 liblwres60 libmozjs2d***libnss3-1d xulrunner-1.9.1*

15 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.Need to get 36.1 MB of archives. After unpacking 1,000 kB will be freed.Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] nAbort.

root@Blackdragon:~#[/snip]
So why the hell is apache being installed/upgraded on a desktop install w/ no "server" services?--

Did you know...
If you play a Windows 2000 CD backwards, you hear satanic messages,
but what's worse is when you play it forward....
...it installs Windows 2000
-- Alfred Perlstein on chat at freebsd.org

Old 03-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mi, 30 mar 11, 16:17:52, Chris Brennan wrote:

> So why the hell is apache being installed/upgraded on a desktop install w/
> no "server" services?

It's being upgraded, which means it is already installed on your system.
Try 'aptitude why apache2.2-bin', maybe it will shed some light on why
it is installed.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 03-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Chris Brennan

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mi, 30 mar 11, 16:17:52, Chris Brennan wrote:

> So why the hell is apache being installed/upgraded on a desktop install w/

> no "server" services?

It's being upgraded, which means it is already installed on your system.

Try 'aptitude why apache2.2-bin', maybe it will shed some light on why

it is installed.

Regards,

Andrei

Ya I just did that and it was installed because of gnome .... I don't remember installing gnome ... when I installed my laptop, I chose no WM nor X as I wanted to learn how to do it *the debian way* using apt-get/aptitude. I went from X to fluxbox and gnome wasn't an inbetween. I imagine some deps where installed with other packages but upon checking .... I have a full gnome install and I *know* I didn't install it, so I am left scratching my head.

[snip]root@Blackdragon:~# aptitude why apache2.2-bini * gnome * * * * * * * * * * Depends gnome-desktop-environment (= 1:2.30+7)i A gnome-desktop-environment Depends gnome-user-share (>= 2.30) * * * * * *

i A gnome-user-share** * * * *Depends apache2.2-bin * * * * * * * * * * * **root@Blackdragon:~#[/snip]--

-- Alfred Perlstein on chat at freebsd.org

Old 03-30-2011, 08:39 PM
Matt Harrison

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mi, 30 mar 11, 16:17:52, Chris Brennan wrote:
>> >
>> > So why the hell is apache being installed/upgraded on a desktop install
>> > w/
>> > no "server" services?
>>
>> It's being upgraded, which means it is already installed on your system.
>> Try 'aptitude why apache2.2-bin', maybe it will shed some light on why
>> it is installed.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andrei
>> --
>> Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
>

> Ya I just did that and it was installed because of gnome .... I don't
> remember installing gnome ... when I installed my laptop, I chose no WM nor
> X as I wanted to learn how to do it *the debian way* using apt-get/aptitude.
> I went from X to fluxbox and gnome wasn't an inbetween. I imagine some deps
> where installed with other packages but upon checking .... I have a full
> gnome install and I *know* I didn't install it, so I am left scratching my
> head.
> [snip]
> root@Blackdragon:~# aptitude why apache2.2-bin
> i * gnome * * * * * * * * * * Depends gnome-desktop-environment (= 1:2.30+7)
> i A gnome-desktop-environment Depends gnome-user-share (>= 2.30)
> i A gnome-user-share** * * * *Depends apache2.2-bin
> root@Blackdragon:~#
> [/snip]
>
> --
>

> Did you know...
> If you play a Windows 2000 CD backwards, you hear satanic messages,
> but what's worse is when you play it forward....
> ...it installs Windows 2000
> -- Alfred Perlstein on chat at freebsd.org

Do you have GDM installed by chance? I noticed the same thing on my
XFCE install and the only thing I could trace to gnome dependencies
was GDM.