Old 03-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Bruno Boettcher

Default how to get 3D acceleration with an intel i7?

Hello

i just got a new machine, fitted with no graphics card, since the
processor and the motherboard together should be able to give a "decent"
graphics output...

till now i had no problems with intel integrated graphics, worked out of
the box....

but this time i have only basic services working (basic VGA mode) so no
DRI, no 3D acceleration....

how do i get this working?

processor is Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz

thanks!

--
ciao bboett
bboett@adlp.org

Old 03-30-2011, 06:28 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 19:05:13 +0200, Bruno Boettcher wrote:

> i just got a new machine, fitted with no graphics card, since the
> processor and the motherboard together should be able to give a "decent"
> graphics output...
>
> till now i had no problems with intel integrated graphics, worked out of
> the box....
>
> but this time i have only basic services working (basic VGA mode) so no
> DRI, no 3D acceleration....
>
> how do i get this working?

You will need to find out why the intel driver fails to load and Xorg
fallbacks to vesa or fb mode, if that's what is really happening here.

Upload your full "/var/log/Xorg.0.conf" file to www.pastebin.com and put
back the link so someone can give you any clue :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 18:28:02 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 19:05:13 +0200, Bruno Boettcher wrote:

(...)

>> how do i get this working?
>
> You will need to find out why the intel driver fails to load and Xorg
> fallbacks to vesa or fb mode, if that's what is really happening here.
>
> Upload your full "/var/log/Xorg.0.conf" file
^^^^^^^^^^^

Err, that should read "/var/log/Xorg.0.log".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Andreas Rönnquist

Bruno Boettcher <bboett@bboett.adlp.org> wrote:

> Hello
>
> i just got a new machine, fitted with no graphics card, since the
> processor and the motherboard together should be able to give a "decent"
> graphics output...
>
> till now i had no problems with intel integrated graphics, worked out of
> the box....
>
> but this time i have only basic services working (basic VGA mode) so no
> DRI, no 3D acceleration....
>
> how do i get this working?
>
> processor is Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
>
> thanks!

Which version of Debian are you trying? I believe that processor you
have is of the Sandy Bridge familiy, which requires at least version
2.14 of the intel drivers to function, and that version is so far only
packaged in Debian Unstable.

see
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=xserver-xorg-video-intel

and
http://intellinuxgraphics.org/

best regards
--
Andreas Rönnquist <gusnan@gusnan.se>

Old 03-31-2011, 08:36 AM
Bruno Boettcher

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 06:28:02PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 19:05:13 +0200, Bruno Boettcher wrote:
> You will need to find out why the intel driver fails to load and Xorg
> fallbacks to vesa or fb mode, if that's what is really happening here.
hmmm indeed reading the log i don't think that's happening....

> Upload your full "/var/log/Xorg.0.conf" file to www.pastebin.com and put
> back the link so someone can give you any clue :-)
http://pastebin.com/1u6aK0aJ

ah .... and as it seems its my application that needs explicitely some
known driver.... glxgears and tuxracer do work (not extremely fast but
acceptably....)

Old 03-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 10:36:31 +0200, Bruno Boettcher wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 06:28:02PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 19:05:13 +0200, Bruno Boettcher wrote: You will
>> need to find out why the intel driver fails to load and Xorg fallbacks
>> to vesa or fb mode, if that's what is really happening here.

> hmmm indeed reading the log i don't think that's happening....

Yep... at least to me there is no clear error showing in the log :-?
(neither warnings nor problems for enabling 3D acceleration).

And provided you seem to be using a recent -and customized?- kernel
(Linux yoda 2.6.37-2-amd64) and also an updated Xorg server (1.9.5)
upgrading any of those components does not make much sense, right?

>> Upload your full "/var/log/Xorg.0.conf" file to www.pastebin.com and
>> put back the link so someone can give you any clue :-)
> http://pastebin.com/1u6aK0aJ
>
> ah .... and as it seems its my application that needs explicitely some
> known driver.... glxgears and tuxracer do work (not extremely fast but
> acceptably....)

What is the exact behaviour you are experiencing? Do you feel the desktop
is sluggish or a concrete application is not running smooth? Did you
enable desktop effects? BTW, what desktop are you using?

The more data you provide, the better for other people can tell you some
hints :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-31-2011, 03:08 PM
Bruno Boettcher

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 01:49:14PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> And provided you seem to be using a recent -and customized?- kernel
> (Linux yoda 2.6.37-2-amd64) and also an updated Xorg server (1.9.5)
> upgrading any of those components does not make much sense, right?
yes the standard kernel coming with unstable....

> > http://pastebin.com/1u6aK0aJ
> What is the exact behaviour you are experiencing? Do you feel the desktop
> is sluggish or a concrete application is not running smooth? Did you
> enable desktop effects? BTW, what desktop are you using?
>
> The more data you provide, the better for other people can tell you some
> hints :-)

sur enough, ok i am running enlightement .16 as desktopmanager, without
too much options enabled (no effects etc) and for normal work, e.g.
launching and moving xterms, editing documents wth libreoffice etc
there's no lag, as soon as i start some heavy duty graphic apps there's
lag and often some out of synchro lines that appear.

doesn't happen BTW with glxgears, but tested also with a widely
available game: extreme tuxracer

and then there's proprietary software i need running under wine which
doesn't use opengl but the "'$%'«» M$ system.... and those won't
work.....

tried also some heavy graphics games like regnum online, same problem,
they complain of lack of drivers....

i suppose now it has something to do with some lacking in the
translation between windows graphics and opengl

Old 03-31-2011, 03:37 PM
Ron Johnson

On 03/31/2011 03:36 AM, Bruno Boettcher wrote:

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 06:28:02PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 19:05:13 +0200, Bruno Boettcher wrote:
You will need to find out why the intel driver fails to load and Xorg
fallbacks to vesa or fb mode, if that's what is really happening here.

hmmm indeed reading the log i don't think that's happening....

Upload your full "/var/log/Xorg.0.conf" file to www.pastebin.com and put
back the link so someone can give you any clue :-)

http://pastebin.com/1u6aK0aJ

X seems to be properly loading intel_drv.

ah .... and as it seems its my application that needs explicitely some
known driver.... glxgears and tuxracer do work (not extremely fast but
acceptably....)

corrupt."

Archive: 4D949F9C.70508@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D949F9C.70508@cox.net

Old 03-31-2011, 03:38 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 17:08:57 +0200, Bruno Boettcher wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 01:49:14PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> The more data you provide, the better for other people can tell you
>> some hints :-)

> sur enough, ok i am running enlightement .16 as desktopmanager, without
> too much options enabled (no effects etc) and for normal work, e.g.
> launching and moving xterms, editing documents wth libreoffice etc
> there's no lag, as soon as i start some heavy duty graphic apps there's
> lag and often some out of synchro lines that appear.

For this issue (some kind of screen corruption) I can't tell as Sid seems
to be using the latest intel driver (2.14.0) and the same for libdrm
(2.4.23) and mesa (7.10).

> doesn't happen BTW with glxgears, but tested also with a widely
> available game: extreme tuxracer
>
> and then there's proprietary software i need running under wine which
> doesn't use opengl but the "'$%'«» M$ system.... and those won't
> work.....

You mean DirectX based games or applications? I dunno if these can work
even using Wine, maybe you need some trick (for example, passing an
additional argument to wine binary) to launch these apps :-?

> tried also some heavy graphics games like regnum online, same problem,
> they complain of lack of drivers....
>
> i suppose now it has something to do with some lacking in the
> translation between windows graphics and opengl

Yes, there must be something related to that. Look, as for Regnum, Intel
cards are still marked as "experimental", so I would expect some problems
when playing this game:

Supported video cards
http://www.regnumonline.com.ar/index.php?l=1&sec=20&subsec=41

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-31-2011, 03:39 PM
Ron Johnson

On 03/31/2011 10:08 AM, Bruno Boettcher wrote:

[...]

So, tuxracer (heavy OpenGL usage) performs adequately?

and then there's proprietary software i need running under wine which
doesn't use opengl but the "'$%'«» M$ system.... and those won't
work.....

That's a Wine problem...

tried also some heavy graphics games like regnum online, same problem,
they complain of lack of drivers....

Error messages would be useful...