-   -   What temporary space does aptitude use? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/507621-what-temporary-space-does-aptitude-use.html)

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." 03-30-2011 05:04 PM

What temporary space does aptitude use?

On 2011-03-30 11:16:19 Sven Joachim wrote:
>Note that you have to clean up old unused
>kernels manually, they are never autoremoved.

"Never" meaning "only if you override the settings in
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove".
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Dom 03-30-2011 05:59 PM

On 2011-03-30 16:58 +0200, Hendrik Boom wrote:

When aptitude is upgrading a system, it first downloads a whole lot of
packages into cache, and then installs them. This means there has to be
enough disk spoace somewhere for both the old system and the downloaded
packages.

I need to ensure that I reserve enough space for the lenny->squeeze
upgrade.

In which file system does it place this probably huge cache?

The downloaded debs are stored in /var/cache/apt/archives by default,
you can change that location via apt's Dir::Cache::archives
configuration variable (see apt.conf(5) for details).

Is there other temporary space usage I need to watch out for?

You need to ensure that the root partition has enough space for both the
old and the new kernel (an amd64 kernel with all its modules requires
~100 MiB of disk space). Note that you have to clean up old unused
kernels manually, they are never autoremoved.

Or the /boot partition, if you have a separate partition for that
filesystem (I do, on one system - I frequently found that 16MB wasn't
big enough).

--
Dom

Archive: 4D936F9F.1010204@rpdom.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D936F9F.1010204@rpdom.net

Hendrik Boom 03-31-2011 01:39 AM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 16:04:50 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:58:28 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>>>
>> In which file system does it place this probably huge cache?
>>
>> Is there other temporary space usage I need to watch out for?
>
> Hum... I hate replying a question with another question but, does this
> help?

Yes! Thanks. I should have seen that myself. It's a lot more detailed
than I had thought.

> 4.4.3. Make sure you have sufficient space for the upgrade
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-
upgrading.en.html#sufficient-space