Old 03-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Jason Filippou

Default SIGTERM received when installing Nvidia driver

Hello list,

I've been running my testing box's graphics through the NVIDIA
proprietary driver, downloaded from their website. However, after
recent updates, logging into my debian box is only possible through
text mode, no X server is started. Whenever I try to install the
downloaded NVIDIA driver (I have 260.xxx and 256.xxxx in my home
folder) with superuser rights, I receive a SIGTERM signal right after
accepting the license. As a result, I can't run an X server. I also
have the package nvidia-kernel-dkms in my system, if that helps in any
way.

Please CC me as I am not on the list.

Thanks,

Jason

--
Jason Filippou

http://cgi.di.uoa.gr/~std06142

Old 03-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Ron Johnson

I've been running my testing box's graphics through the NVIDIA
proprietary driver, downloaded from their website. However, after
recent updates, logging into my debian box is only possible through
text mode, no X server is started. Whenever I try to install the
downloaded NVIDIA driver (I have 260.xxx and 256.xxxx in my home
folder) with superuser rights, I receive a SIGTERM signal right after
accepting the license. As a result, I can't run an X server. I also
have the package nvidia-kernel-dkms in my system, if that helps in any
way.

Please CC me as I am not on the list.

Why not get them from directly from Debian? (Though you might have to
add Experimental to get current drivers.)

corrupt."

Archive: 4D937E09.3000003@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D937E09.3000003@cox.net

Old 03-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Jason Filippou

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 03/30/2011 08:00 AM, Jason Filippou wrote:
>>
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I've been running my testing box's graphics through the NVIDIA
>> proprietary driver, downloaded from their website. However, after
>> recent updates, logging into my debian box is only possible through
>> text mode, no X server is started. Whenever I try to install the
>> downloaded NVIDIA driver (I have 260.xxx and 256.xxxx in my home
>> folder) with superuser rights, I receive a SIGTERM signal right after
>> accepting the license. As a result, I can't run an X server. I also
>> have the package nvidia-kernel-dkms in my system, if that helps in any
>> way.
>>
>> Please CC me as I am not on the list.
>>

> Why not get them from directly from Debian? *(Though you might have to add
> Experimental to get current drivers.)
>
> --
> "Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure
> the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally
> corrupt."
> Samuel Adams, essay in The Public Advertiser, 1749

I have no reason not to get them from Debian directly. How would I go
about fetching them from Debian? I have included all repositories in
my apt.conf file.

--
Jason Filippou

http://cgi.di.uoa.gr/~std06142

Old 03-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Ron Johnson

[...]

Step one:
$ apt-cache policy nvidia-glx

corrupt."

Archive: 4D938C99.1030200@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D938C99.1030200@cox.net

Old 03-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Wolodja Wentland

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 16:00 +0300, Jason Filippou wrote:
> I've been running my testing box's graphics through the NVIDIA
> proprietary driver, downloaded from their website. However, after
> recent updates, logging into my debian box is only possible through
> text mode, no X server is started. Whenever I try to install the
> downloaded NVIDIA driver (I have 260.xxx and 256.xxxx in my home
> folder) with superuser rights, I receive a SIGTERM signal right after
> accepting the license. As a result, I can't run an X server. I also
> have the package nvidia-kernel-dkms in my system, if that helps in any
> way.

I would recommend to remove every trace of the nvidia driver you installed
from the NVIDIA website and use the following method to install it:

1. Add non-free sources in /etc/apt/sources.list

You should have a line like:

deb http://ftp.XX.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free

Where XX has to be replaced with your country code. The important part is
the "non-free" in the end. You don't necessarily need contrib, but if you
have non-free it makes sense to include it as well.

2. Run "aptitude update"
3. Install the kernel headers

# aptitude -r install linux-headers-2.6-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,')

4. Install the nvidia dkms drivers

# aptitude install nvidia-kernel-dkms

5. Configure Xorg

# mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf{,_old}
# mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
# echo -e 'Section "Device"
Identifier "My GPU"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection' >
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf

6. Restart the system

Hope that works out for you. Have fun!
--
.'`. Wolodja Wentland <wolodja.wentland@ed.ac.uk>
: :' :

Old 03-30-2011, 09:22 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mi, 30 mar 11, 22:08:40, Wolodja Wentland wrote:

> 1. Add non-free sources in /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> You should have a line like:
>
> deb http://ftp.XX.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
>
> Where XX has to be replaced with your country code. The important part is
> the "non-free" in the end. You don't necessarily need contrib, but if you
> have non-free it makes sense to include it as well.

nvidia-settings is in contrib

> 4. Install the nvidia dkms drivers
>
> # aptitude install nvidia-kernel-dkms

Interesting, I would have suggested installing nvidia-glx, which will
pull in nvidia-kernel-dkms if needed (on a stable install the dependency
is satisfied by the pre-built module package, which means the headers
and compiling stuff is not needed).

Regards,
Andrei

Old 03-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Jason Filippou

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 03/30/2011 02:36 PM, Jason Filippou wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
>> *wrote:

>>> Why not get them from directly from Debian? *(Though you might have to
>>> add
>>> Experimental to get current drivers.)
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure
>>> the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally
>>> corrupt."
>>> Samuel Adams, essay in The Public Advertiser, 1749
>>>
>> I have no reason not to get them from Debian directly. How would I go
>> about fetching them from Debian? I have included all repositories in
>> my apt.conf file.
>>

> Step one:
> $ *apt-cache policy nvidia-glx
>
> --
> "Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure
> the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally
> corrupt."
> Samuel Adams, essay in The Public Advertiser, 1749

Here's the output:

nvidia-glx:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 260.19.44-1
Version table:
270.30-1 0
500 http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental/non-free
i386 Packages
260.19.44-1 0
700 http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/non-free i386 Packages
600 http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable/non-free i386 Packages
195.36.31-7 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
195.36.31-6 0
650 http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ stable/non-free i386 Packages

--
Jason Filippou

http://cgi.di.uoa.gr/~std06142

Old 03-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Ron Johnson

[...]

Then it's as simple as:
# apt-get -t testing install nvidia-glx

corrupt."

Archive: 4D93A369.6050805@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D93A369.6050805@cox.net

Old 03-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Jason Filippou

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 03/30/2011 04:28 PM, Jason Filippou wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
>> *wrote:

>>> Step one:
>>> $ *apt-cache policy nvidia-glx
>>
>> Here's the output:
>>
>> nvidia-glx:
>> * Installed: (none)
>> * Candidate: 260.19.44-1
>> * Version table:
>> * * *270.30-1 0
>> * * * * 500 http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental/non-free
>> i386 Packages
>> * * *260.19.44-1 0
>> * * * * 700 http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/non-free i386
>> Packages
>> * * * * 600 http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable/non-free i386
>> Packages
>> * * *195.36.31-7 0
>> * * * * 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>> * * *195.36.31-6 0
>> * * * * 650 http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ stable/non-free i386
>> Packages
>
> Then it's as simple as:
> # apt-get -t testing install nvidia-glx
>
> --
> "Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure
> the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally
> corrupt."
> Samuel Adams, essay in The Public Advertiser, 1749

Indeed it was, thanks a million.

Jason Filippou

http://cgi.di.uoa.gr/~std06142

Old 03-30-2011, 09:56 PM