Old 02-08-2008, 09:08 PM
phillinux

Default Shell script function problems

I'm trying to write a bash shell script to create user accounts that
calls 2 functions. I can't call these functions from the script or
the command line. The set command seems to show the loaded script in
the shell (loaded with . FunctionName at command line) with other
environmental variables. ALSO: The type command does not recognize
the function.

The script and functions work on my laptop running Fedora (with one
small glitch). Is there something I can do to my Debian server to get
functions recognized??

Old 02-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Bob McGowan

phillinux wrote:

I'm trying to write a bash shell script to create user accounts that
calls 2 functions. I can't call these functions from the script or the
command line. The set command seems to show the loaded script in the
shell (loaded with . FunctionName at command line) with other
environmental variables. ALSO: The type command does not recognize the
function.

The script and functions work on my laptop running Fedora (with one
small glitch). Is there something I can do to my Debian server to get
functions recognized??

If it works on Red Hat, it should work on Debian, both use bash as the
default shell.

It would help to know where the files are located, how and when they are
loaded.

--
Bob McGowan
Symantec, Inc.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Jeff D

phillinux wrote:

I'm trying to write a bash shell script to create user accounts that
calls 2 functions. I can't call these functions from the script or the
command line. The set command seems to show the loaded script in the
shell (loaded with . FunctionName at command line) with other
environmental variables. ALSO: The type command does not recognize the
function.

The script and functions work on my laptop running Fedora (with one
small glitch). Is there something I can do to my Debian server to get
functions recognized??

Are these functions by chance fedora specific? Or are they built into
your shell script? How are you loading them into your script?

Thx,
Jeff