Old 03-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Jeffrin Jose

Default download/install

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 08:07:08AM +0200, Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 29. 03. 2011 07:34:47 je Petya napisal(a):
> >Dear Sirs,
> >
> >I haven't found the answer to my problem on the Debian's page. I
> >would like to get some information about the installation
> >packages. As I saw, there are more *.iso files, and I would like
> >to know, that is the first one enough to install the system and do
> >the others contain different softwares for Debian?
> >
> >I'm looking forward to your answer. Sincerely:
> >
> >Peter Petyanszky
> >
> >29.03.2011.
> >Budapest, Hungary
>
> Dear Sir,
>
> In answer to your question, yes, the first CD (or DVD) of a Debian
> set is enough for installing Debian. Additional CD's and DVD'd just
> contain the rest of the software that Debian provides, but said
> software can as well be downloaded via the Internet AFTER you
> install Debian. The only thing to watch out is the architecture of
> your computer: the *.i386 ISOs are used for 32-bit processors, and
> the AMD64 ones are used for 64-bit processors (both Intel and AMD,
> despite the naming).

there are also single cd's available for separate Desktop environments.

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.1a/i386/iso-cd/debian-6.0.1a-i386-kde-CD-1.iso
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.1a/i386/iso-cd/debian-6.0.1a-i386-xfce+lxde-CD-1.iso

/Jeffrin.

--
software engineer.
department of computer science

Old 03-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Ma, 29 mar 11, 07:34:47, Petya wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>
> I haven't found the answer to my problem on the Debian's page. I
> would like to get some information about the installation packages.
> As I saw, there are more *.iso files, and I would like to know, that
> is the first one enough to install the system and do the others
> contain different softwares for Debian?
>
> I'm looking forward to your answer. Sincerely:

http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#which-cd

You might want to read the entire FAQ, as it holds other important
informations for people new to Debian.

Regards,
Andrei