-   -   SSD's under Debian Linux (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/506941-ssds-under-debian-linux.html)

Jochen Schulz 03-29-2011 09:18 AM

SSD's under Debian Linux

bars0 bars0:

> I recently bought an OCZ VERTEX 2 SSD. What precautions should I take
> when installing Debian on it?

You don't strictly need to do anything special. You may want to read the
advice here anyway:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/TipsAndTricks?highlight=%28ssd%29#Extending_flash_ memory_life

I strongly recommend against disabling the journal, though.

> Are SSD drives supported by Linux?

Yes, including TRIM support.

> Is there any official documentation about this topic?

None that I know of. Everything is supposed to "just work" (including
block size issues).

> Could someone share its experience about SSD's in Debian or GNU/Linux
> in general.

I am using an Intel X25m (1st generation) for almost two years now and
apart from a few tmpfs and no swap, I haven't done anything special in
order to optimize its usage. My model lacks TRIM support, though, and I
think I can notice the performance penalty.

J.
--
I'm being paid to act weirdly.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Tixy 03-29-2011 11:44 AM

SSD's under Debian Linux

On Tue, 2011-03-29 at 10:34 +0200, bars0 bars0 wrote:
> I recently bought an OCZ VERTEX 2 SSD. What precautions should I take
> when installing Debian on it? Are SSD drives supported by Linux?

I have a couple of Debian machines with OCZ Vertex's and have had no
problems in the 18 months I've been running them. The only precaution I
took was to mount file systems with 'noatime'.

When I did a reinstall on one machine last month I did align the
partitions to 8MB boundaries, just because I thought it couldn't hurt.
(Before they weren't even aligned to an even number of 512byte sectors.)

--
Tixy () The ASCII Ribbon Campaign (www.asciiribbon.org)
/ Against HTML e-mail and proprietary attachments

Gilles Mocellin 03-29-2011 08:37 PM

SSD's under Debian Linux

Le mardi 29 mars, bars0 bars0 écrivit :

> Hi all!
>
> I recently bought an OCZ VERTEX 2 SSD. What precautions should I take
> when installing Debian on it? Are SSD drives supported by Linux?
> My machine is Lenovo T61. There's a lot of different opinions on the
> net about lifespan of SSD's under linux, as well as filesystem that
> one should use, startup options etc.
> Is there any official documentation about this topic?
> Could someone share its experience about SSD's in Debian or GNU/Linux
> in general.

I bought one in december, already dead two months after...
I think I had no luck.

My replacement works since one month...

What I do :
- change the IO scheduler, like this :
echo noop > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
- mount noatime or relatime the filesystems

Ah ! One problem with my drive/bios : I can't update the firmware, it's
locked. It's the BIOS's fault...

Look here for a firmware updater for Linux :
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?82289-1st-Public-beta-test-of-OCZ-Sandforce-Linux-based-firmware-upddate-tool