Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Liam O'Toole

Default Console news aggregator: snownews with atom2rss

On 2011-03-29, Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting snownews to accept an atom feed.
> I found an atom-to-rss converter here:
>
> http://kiza.kcore.de/software/snownews/snowscripts/extensions/script/atom2rss/
>
> Here is test code for a filter:
>
> curl http://blogs.perl.org/atom.xml | xsltproc ~/.snownews/atom2rss.xml -
>
> This gives me an RDF document (see below, items pruned to one)
>
> Now I try to do this in snownews entry for the URL using
> the 'e' command. Re-reading the feed with 'r' shows nothing,
> although there's a delay that suggests content was
> downloaded, if nothing else.
>
> (Canto would be my next choice, except that the default colors suck,
> and I'm having trouble finding a suitable terminal and
> locale.)

Since the removal of snownews from squeeze I have migrated to
newsbeuter. It 'feels' very similar to snownews, can read RSS and Atom
feeds, and can connect to a Google Reader account

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

Old 03-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 28 mar 11, 14:02:51, Joel Roth wrote:

Do yourself a favor and use 'm' not 'L' to start a new thread. An alias
like

alias d-u Debian-User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

will save you the typing of the entire e-mail address.

AFAIU it is possible to make a whole thread "disappear" from the default
view, which means some people might not see your mail at all.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 03-29-2011, 09:27 PM
Freeman

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 02:02:51PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting snownews to accept an atom feed.
> I found an atom-to-rss converter here:
>
> http://kiza.kcore.de/software/snownews/snowscripts/extensions/script/atom2rss/
>
> Here is test code for a filter:
>
> curl http://blogs.perl.org/atom.xml | xsltproc ~/.snownews/atom2rss.xml -
>
> This gives me an RDF document (see below, items pruned to one)
>
> Now I try to do this in snownews entry for the URL using
> the 'e' command. Re-reading the feed with 'r' shows nothing,
> although there's a delay that suggests content was
> downloaded, if nothing else.

It has been years and I only have one atom feed left (which hasn't had new
articles in a year since they changed to xml, as it turns out (how much I
read conservative blogs)).

My line in ~/.snownews/urls :

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/atom.xml||Blog|xsltproc /home/freeman/.snownews/xsltproc -

Also,

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/atom.xml||Blog|xsltproc

seems to work now although I don't think it did when I set it up.

I won't be switching from snownews till I have to pry my cold dead fingers
off of it.

Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody

Old 03-30-2011, 12:51 AM
Joel Roth

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 02:51:49PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Lu, 28 mar 11, 14:02:51, Joel Roth wrote:
>
> Do yourself a favor and use 'm' not 'L' to start a new thread. An alias
> like
>
> alias d-u Debian-User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
>
> will save you the typing of the entire e-mail address.
>
> AFAIU it is possible to make a whole thread "disappear" from the default
> view, which means some people might not see your mail at all.

Yeah it was a mistake, I realized when I saw something
like &-&-&-&-Re:..... in the Mutt display.

Thanks for the hint!

> Regards,
> Andrei
> --
> Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:

Joel Roth

Old 03-30-2011, 12:59 AM
Joel Roth

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 02:27:37PM -0700, Freeman wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 02:02:51PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> >
> > I'm having trouble getting snownews to accept an atom feed.
> > I found an atom-to-rss converter here:
> >
> > http://kiza.kcore.de/software/snownews/snowscripts/extensions/script/atom2rss/
> >
> > Here is test code for a filter:
> >
> > curl http://blogs.perl.org/atom.xml | xsltproc ~/.snownews/atom2rss.xml -
> >
> > This gives me an RDF document (see below, items pruned to one)
> >
> > Now I try to do this in snownews entry for the URL using
> > the 'e' command. Re-reading the feed with 'r' shows nothing,
> > although there's a delay that suggests content was
> > downloaded, if nothing else.
> >

> It has been years and I only have one atom feed left (which hasn't had new
> articles in a year since they changed to xml, as it turns out (how much I
> read conservative blogs)).
>
> My line in ~/.snownews/urls :
>
> http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/atom.xml||Blog|xsltproc /home/freeman/.snownews/xsltproc -

Okay, I'll try that.

> Also,
>
> http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/atom.xml||Blog|xsltproc
>
> seems to work now although I don't think it did when I set it up.
>
> I won't be switching from snownews till I have to pry my cold dead fingers
> off of it.

I'll see how it goes. In the meantime, I've managed to
configure Canto (using rxvt-unicode and setting
less horrible colors than the default blue-on-black 8-)

I've also managed to figure out Sage, (Debian package xul-ext-sage)
which is quite clever.

Thanks!

--
Joel Roth

Old 03-30-2011, 02:27 AM
Kelly Clowers

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 14:27, Freeman <hewho7@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 02:02:51PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
>>
>> I'm having trouble getting snownews to accept an atom feed.
>> I found an atom-to-rss converter here:
>>
>> http://kiza.kcore.de/software/snownews/snowscripts/extensions/script/atom2rss/
>>
>> Here is test code for a filter:
>>
>> * * *curl http://blogs.perl.org/atom.xml | xsltproc ~/.snownews/atom2rss.xml -
>>
>> This gives me an RDF document (see below, items pruned to one)
>>
>> Now I try to do this in snownews entry for the URL using
>> the 'e' command. Re-reading the feed with 'r' shows nothing,
>> although there's a delay that suggests content was
>> downloaded, if nothing else.
>>

> It has been years and I only have one atom feed left

Left? I have more Atom feeds than ever. And if you add in those weird
RSS+Atom feeds that feedburner and other produce, I hardly have any
RSS feeds left (thank goodness).

> I won't be switching from snownews till I have to pry my cold dead fingers
> off of it.

Why is that? I never used it, but I use Newsbeuter, and they seem pretty
comparable.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 03-30-2011, 05:14 AM
Joel Roth

Now that I have snownews working (thanks Freeman!) I'm finding that
liferea turns out to be *very* good too, and maybe my
favorite.

--
Joel Roth

Old 03-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Klistvud

Now that I have snownews working (thanks Freeman!) I'm finding that
liferea turns out to be *very* good too, and maybe my
favorite.

+1
Plus, it comes preconfigured with debian-planet and other interesting
feeds. Of course, it's not a console app.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Celejar

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 08:36:00 +0200
Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:

> Dne, 30. 03. 2011 07:14:49 je Joel Roth napisal(a):
> > On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 02:59:42PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> >
> > Now that I have snownews working (thanks Freeman!) I'm finding that
> > liferea turns out to be *very* good too, and maybe my
> > favorite.
> >

> +1
> Plus, it comes preconfigured with debian-planet and other interesting
> feeds. Of course, it's not a console app.

I use Liferea heavily, and I've even filed a number of bugs against
it. I quite like it, but I'm unhappy with its very heavy resource
usage when updating (I do have a fair number of feeds). Is this a fact
of life with all feed readers, or poor coding in Liferea?

Celejar

Old 03-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Klistvud

of life with all feed readers, or poor coding in Liferea?

Poor coding *is* a fact of life ...