Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Lisi

Default Installing Etch

I need to install Etch (or Etch-and-a-half). I have CD 1. In order to
install a fully working Etch I need more than that.

So, how can I get: a full set of DVDs, a full set of CDs (ouch) or a working
sources list?

I have googled, but can get nothing about installing Etch, now it is already
off the cliff. I try to time limit, but Google brings up things, that it
claims were posted only 3 days ago, that talk about the change from Sarge to
Etch. :-/

I did myself ask a related question on this list a while ago, but I can't find
that either. My Google-foo has clearly gone AWOL.

So, again: how can I get one or all of: a full set of DVDs, a full set of CDs,
or a funtioning sources.list?

Lisi

Old 03-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Roman Khomasuridze

Hi,

here is repository:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

I guess, if you have CD1 this will be enough, just install it and then extend with above repository.

Regards
-------
Roman

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/201103281228.55756.lisi.reisz@gmail.com

Old 03-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Lisi

On Monday 28 March 2011 12:37:41 Roman Khomasuridze wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I need to install Etch (or Etch-and-a-half). I have CD 1. In order to
> > install a fully working Etch I need more than that.
> >
> > So, how can I get: a full set of DVDs, a full set of CDs (ouch) or a
> > working
> > sources list?

> here is repository:
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
>
> I guess, if you have CD1 this will be enough, just install it and then
> extend with above repository.

Many thanks, Roman! Just what I needed. :-)) I did not expect it to be that
simple!! (My own one attempt to install was frankly a mess!)

Lisi

Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Roman Khomasuridze

you're welcome!
Yeah, but haven't found CD-s archive, just for curiosity, where they might be?... hmm.

Regards
------------
Roman

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/201103281241.55213.lisi.reisz@gmail.com

Old 03-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Roman Khomasuridze

ahaa, found it:
http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/debian-installer/

Old 03-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Steve McIntyre

http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#old points at http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. steve@einval.com
There's no sensation to compare with this

Old 03-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Lisi

On Monday 28 March 2011 12:37:41 Roman Khomasuridze wrote:
> Hi,
>
> here is repository:
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
>
> I guess, if you have CD1 this will be enough, just install it and then
> extend with above repository.

That repository appears to be non-existent. I couldn't even ping it. :-( I
tried a fair number of other repositories. They existed, but said that the
requested files didn't. Plan B (the DVDs).

Lisi

Old 03-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 28 mar 11, 15:11:37, Lisi wrote:
> On Monday 28 March 2011 12:37:41 Roman Khomasuridze wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > here is repository:
> >
> > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

That's not going to work, since etch is archived.

> > I guess, if you have CD1 this will be enough, just install it and then
> > extend with above repository.
>
> That repository appears to be non-existent. I couldn't even ping it. :-( I
> tried a fair number of other repositories. They existed, but said that the
> requested files didn't. Plan B (the DVDs).

Lisi, you need archive.debian.org. Not sure exactly how the sources.list
line should look like though, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 03-28-2011, 03:20 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On 2011-03-28 09:18:31 Andrei Popescu wrote:
>On Lu, 28 mar 11, 15:11:37, Lisi wrote:
>> On Monday 28 March 2011 12:37:41 Roman Khomasuridze wrote:
>> > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
>>
>> That repository appears to be non-existent. I couldn't even ping it. :-(
>> I tried a fair number of other repositories. They existed, but said that
>> the requested files didn't. Plan B (the DVDs).
>
>Lisi, you need archive.debian.org. Not sure exactly how the sources.list
>line should look like though, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out.

For Free Software:
deb http://archive.debian.org/debian etch main

For Sources
deb-src http://archive.debian.org/debian etch main

Getting contrib, non-free, and their corresponding sources is left as an
exercise for the reader.

Note that Etch has a number of known, unpatched security vulnerabilities and
receives no real support from the Debian project. Moving to Lenny should be
made a priority; any time spend working with Etch should be (at least) matched
with the same amount of time pursuing an upgrade to Lenny.

(Even Lenny is "oldstable", but at least you should get 10+ months of security
support on that and it's the first step in upgrading to Squeeze anyway.)
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))