Old 03-28-2011, 02:12 AM
Ron Johnson

Default You touched one of my pet peeves (was dpkg: syntax error)

On 03/27/2011 08:35 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:

An apt-get update for Squeeze gives the following error message:-

dpkg: syntax error in file triggers file `/var/lib/dpkg/triggers//File'

The machine is a fairly standard KDE Squeeze i386 - the update is (I
believe) the last point release (92 upgraded packages), and
/var/lib/dpkg/triggers/File does exist, and has no obvious syntax errors
(or blank spaces.

Is the double backslashes a clue?

That's a double *slash*. The backslash (on my US "small <Enter>" kb)
is under the pipe.

We know this because typewriter keyboards only had one such key and so
Lower Left To Upper Right became the "slash" key. When IBM added
another key, that new key became the backslash.

http://www.macwebguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/olympiaportabletypewritekeyboard.jpg

http://eprints.utas.edu.au/3383/2/op_typewriter_keyboard_ep.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_-1QGhsS3OZ0/R4FQccv5-WI/AAAAAAAAAPE/S6za2eZBx4c/beige+ibm+selectric+typewriter.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/Keyboard_on_a_typewriter.jpg

corrupt."

Archive: 4D8FEE96.6070603@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D8FEE96.6070603@cox.net

Old 03-28-2011, 02:26 AM
Nate Bargmann

* On 2011 27 Mar 21:13 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> That's a double *slash*. The backslash (on my US "small <Enter>"
> kb) is under the pipe.
>
> We know this because typewriter keyboards only had one such key and
> so Lower Left To Upper Right became the "slash" key. When IBM added
> another key, that new key became the backslash.

Even more annoying are some local radio commercials where the voice
says, "aH Tee Tee Pea Colon Backslash Backslash Double-U Double-U
Double-U blah blah blah".

- Nate >>

Old 03-28-2011, 02:52 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 28/03/11 13:26, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * On 2011 27 Mar 21:13 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
>> That's a double *slash*. The backslash (on my US "small <Enter>"
>> kb) is under the pipe.
>>
>> We know this because typewriter keyboards only had one such key and
>> so Lower Left To Upper Right became the "slash" key. When IBM added
>> another key, that new key became the backslash.
>
> Even more annoying are some local radio commercials where the voice
> says, "aH Tee Tee Pea Colon Backslash Backslash Double-U Double-U
> Double-U blah blah blah".
>
> - Nate >>

Blame Embrace Extend Extinguish...

And Double-U Double-U - I "know" that is how it's supposed to be, but
I've spent years (delighting in) saying "wuh" "wuh" "wuh" (as in the
Magyar "w").

Cheers

--
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.
There must be some mistake.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:25 AM
Marc Shapiro

And Double-U Double-U - I "know" that is how it's supposed to be, but
I've spent years (delighting in) saying "wuh" "wuh" "wuh" (as in the
Magyar "w").

How about combining all three of them into 'hexa-u"?

Marc

Archive: 4D8FFFB1.6070808@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D8FFFB1.6070808@gmail.com

Old 03-28-2011, 07:09 AM
Doug

And Double-U Double-U - I "know" that is how it's supposed to be, but
I've spent years (delighting in) saying "wuh" "wuh" "wuh" (as in the
Magyar "w").

How about combining all three of them into 'hexa-u"?

Marc

German has a common usage for something like that: they would say
"dreimal weh" where weh would be pronounced vay. I.e., "three times
double-you."
You hear it more often in "zweimal"--two times. Zweimal Kaffee, when
you're ordering

with another at breakfast, etc.

--doug

Archive: 4D903429.4030109@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D903429.4030109@optonline.net

Old 03-28-2011, 03:11 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On 2011-03-27 21:52:29 Scott Ferguson wrote:
>And Double-U Double-U - I "know" that is how it's supposed to be, but
>I've spent years (delighting in) saying "wuh" "wuh" "wuh" (as in the
>Magyar "w").

World Wide Web = 3 syllables.
www = double-u double-u double-u = 9 syllables.

Abbreviation FAIL!
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 03-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Tony van der Hoff

And Double-U Double-U - I "know" that is how it's supposed to be, but
I've spent years (delighting in) saying "wuh" "wuh" "wuh" (as in the
Magyar "w").

World Wide Web = 3 syllables.
www = double-u double-u double-u = 9 syllables.

"dub-dub-dub" is becoming quite popular in my circles.

--
Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |

Archive: 4D90AAD1.4030701@vanderhoff.org">http://lists.debian.org/4D90AAD1.4030701@vanderhoff.org

Old 03-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Glenn English

On Mar 28, 2011, at 9:11 AM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> World Wide Web = 3 syllables.
> www = double-u double-u double-u = 9 syllables.

3dub works -- 2 syllables, and less work required from the mouth :-)

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com