Old 03-28-2011, 01:58 AM
Yuwen Dai

Default How to disable (or change) the logout sound in gnome/GDM?

Dear all,

The logout sound is a very ugly beep.* I can change the login sound in gdm.conf but can not find where the logout sound setting is.* I also put pcspkr module in the blacklist, no effect.

Best regards,

Yuwen

Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Vincent Lefevre

On 2011-03-28 09:58:57 +0800, Yuwen Dai wrote:
> The logout sound is a very ugly beep. I can change the login sound in
> gdm.conf but can not find where the logout sound setting is. I also put
> pcspkr module in the blacklist, no effect.

Various solutions (the first one works on some machines, but not
everywhere, and I don't know why):

1. "xset -b" in your .xsession or whatever is run (this will disable
the beep also in other applications, which is fine, IMHO).

2. With gdm, set SoundOnLogin=false in "/etc/gdm/gdm.conf".

3. With gdm3, the /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults config file can be
changed to have:

/desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds false

Old 03-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Vincent Lefevre

On 2011-03-28 13:32:35 +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2011-03-28 09:58:57 +0800, Yuwen Dai wrote:
> > The logout sound is a very ugly beep. I can change the login sound in
> > gdm.conf but can not find where the logout sound setting is. I also put
> > pcspkr module in the blacklist, no effect.
>
> Various solutions (the first one works on some machines, but not
> everywhere, and I don't know why):
>
> 1. "xset -b" in your .xsession or whatever is run (this will disable
> the beep also in other applications, which is fine, IMHO).
>
> 2. With gdm, set SoundOnLogin=false in "/etc/gdm/gdm.conf".
>
> 3. With gdm3, the /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults config file can be
> changed to have:
>
> /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds false

Actually, after some tests, (1) is unrelated. On one machine,
gdm3 no longer beeps even though I have

/desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds true

in /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults and I do not use "xset -b"
(e.g. the beep works in Emacs).

"gconftool -g /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds" outputs false, so
that there may be something else. I'm happy with that, though.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Yuwen Dai

On 2011-03-28 09:58:57 +0800, Yuwen Dai wrote:

> The logout sound is a very ugly beep. *I can change the login sound in

> gdm.conf but can not find where the logout sound setting is. *I also put

> pcspkr module in the blacklist, no effect.

Various solutions (the first one works on some machines, but not

everywhere, and I don't know why):

1. "xset -b" in your .xsession or whatever is run (this will disable

* the beep also in other applications, which is fine, IMHO).

Hi Vincent,

xset -b* works.* Thanks.

*
2. With gdm, set SoundOnLogin=false in "/etc/gdm/gdm.conf".

I've already set this, this is no effect.* In fact, the beep only occurs when I shutdown the computer in gnome.* It doesn't beep when I login or logout.

*

3. With gdm3, the /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults config file can be

* changed to have:

* /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds * * * * * * * false

I don't use gdm3.

Best regards,
Yuwen