Old 03-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Daniel Bareiro

Default Autodetect proxy not working in Iceweasel

Hi all!

I just installed Squid on a host of my house with Debian Squeeze. Then I
added in my DHCP server the following configuration options:

option wpad code 252 = text;
option wpad "http://wpad.freesoftware/proxy.pac
";

I also created a hard link to the file proxy.pac. The name of the hard
link is wpad.dat. wpad.freesoftware has an entry in my DNS server and
both files are accessible from the local network.

I was testing from Debian Lenny using Konqueror 3.5.9 and in Settings ->
Configure Konqueror -> Proxy category, I selected the option to
automatically detect proxy settings. After that, according to the Squid
logs, Konqueror passes through the proxy.

In Iceweasel 3.0.6 I tried to do the same by going to Edit -> Preference
-> Advanced -> Network -> Settings -> Auto-Detect proxy settings for
this network, but It doesn't work. In fact, I'm not seeing in the Apache
logs any GET to wpad.dat or proxy.pac files from Iceweasel.

I'll be missing some other configuration to the DHCP server or Apache VH
to serve this files to Iceweasel?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards,
Daniel
--
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9 29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37
Powered by Debian GNU/Linux Lenny - Linux user #188.598

Old 03-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 13:33:12 -0300, Daniel Bareiro wrote:

> I just installed Squid on a host of my house with Debian Squeeze. Then I
> added in my DHCP server the following configuration options:
>
> option wpad code 252 = text;
> option wpad "http://wpad.freesoftware/proxy.pac
";

(...)

Just a side note on this.

By reading the Wikipedia article about WPAD¹ it looks like Firefox can
only play nice with a DNS based method as specifically mentioned in the
Notes section:

***
DHCP has a higher priority than DNS: if DHCP provides the WPAD URL, no
DNS lookup is performed. Notice that Firefox and Chrome do not support
DHCP, only DNS
***

Not sure if that information still remains true, though...

¹http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Proxy_Autodiscovery_Protocol

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Daniel Bareiro

Hi, Camaleón.

On Wednesday, 30 March 2011 14:25:44 +0000,
Camaleón wrote:

> > I just installed Squid on a host of my house with Debian Squeeze.
> > Then I added in my DHCP server the following configuration options:
> >
> > option wpad code 252 = text;
> > option wpad "http://wpad.freesoftware/proxy.pac
";

> (...)
>
> Just a side note on this.
>
> By reading the Wikipedia article about WPAD¹ it looks like Firefox can
> only play nice with a DNS based method as specifically mentioned in
> the Notes section:
>
> ***
> DHCP has a higher priority than DNS: if DHCP provides the WPAD URL, no
> DNS lookup is performed. Notice that Firefox and Chrome do not support
> DHCP, only DNS
> ***
>
> Not sure if that information still remains true, though...
>
> ¹http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Proxy_Autodiscovery_Protocol

As I watched with Wireshark, Iceweasel was reaching the Apache, but it
was returning a 404. In reviewing local logs of Apache, which was
responding this was the default VirtualHost. Apparently, Iceweasel
(Firefox too, I guess) was trying to reach http://wpad/wpad.dat and that
failed. So the addition of "ServerAlias wpad" solved the problem.

The moral is: Konqueror uses the FQDN while Iceweasel does not.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Daniel
--
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9 29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37