-   -   xserver crashing (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/50568-xserver-crashing.html)

Klaus Imgrund 02-08-2008 04:53 PM

xserver crashing

Hello,

I've been over the archives for the last two month but couldn't find any info
about my specific problem.

I updated xorg a couple of days ago from an older version (running sid).
Please don't ask what older version - it's been a while.

After that the xserver started crashing after a couple of hours.
That wasn't a big surprise since I run nvidia binary drivers.
Figured I reinstall the nvidia driver and throw in a new kernel for good
measure.

xserver is 1:7.3+10
Kernel: 2.6.24-1-686
nvidia : version: 171.05

Unfortunately the xserver is still crashing.Well I figured since the nvidia
installer gave me a warning about the kernel being compiled with a different
version of gcc I just walk away and use the nv driver since I don't care
about 3d anyway.

Unfortunately the nv driver also crashes :-)

This is with a 7600GS and a nforce 650i motherboard.

Does anybody have any suggestions what might be the problem here?
The only thing I could think about doing right now is downgrading xorg but
that might open a whole new can of worms...

Klaus

"Telaman Consultancies" 02-09-2008 04:14 AM

xserver crashing

Your situation looks like it could even be hardware.
Some bad ram/ram connection, something like that.

Seems to be happening under load, at least.
Regards,

David Palmer.

Kalessin 02-09-2008 08:15 AM

xserver crashing

Hello,

You are using the wrong driver for your card :

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1540758&postcount=2

Then, about the nvidia installer warning, you can work around that by
setting the CC environment variable (with the good version of gcc)
before executing the nvidia insaller.

Best Regards

--
Louis OPTER, aka, Kalessin - Clef PGP : 0x58AA6712

Klaus Imgrund 02-09-2008 08:56 AM

xserver crashing

On Saturday 09 February 2008 07:15:39 Kalessin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> You are using the wrong driver for your card :
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1540758&postcount=2
>
> Then, about the nvidia installer warning, you can work around that by
> setting the CC environment variable (with the good version of gcc)
> before executing the nvidia insaller.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Le vendredi 08 février 2008 à 15:53 -0200, Klaus Imgrund a écrit :

> > xserver is 1:7.3+10
> > Kernel: 2.6.24-1-686
> > nvidia : version: 171.05

> > Unfortunately the nv driver also crashes :-)
> >
> > This is with a 7600GS and a nforce 650i motherboard.

Actually - the card is supported according to the docs that came with the
driver.
Strange thing is that I can't even find that driver version on the nvidia
website.

The nv driver should work no matter what anyway.

best regards,

Klaus

"Telaman Consultancies" 02-09-2008 09:18 PM

xserver crashing

I haven't found that it does.

I couldn't even obtain X with the nv driver, using a Leadtek NVidia
Quadro FX540, so I had to revert to the vesa driver, intending to
install the drivers from the NVidia site but I never got the chance.

This might be an interesting experiment for you?
Regards,

David Palmer.

02-12-2008 09:35 AM

xserver crashing

The nv driver should work no matter what anyway.

I haven't found that it does.

I couldn't even obtain X with the nv driver, using a Leadtek NVidia
Quadro FX540, so I had to revert to the vesa driver, intending to
install the drivers from the NVidia site but I never got the chance.

This might be an interesting experiment for you?
Regards,

David Palmer.

Well - after trying different drivers with different kernels and 2
versions of xorg to no avail I reinstalled and the box is up for three
days now with no glitches.
Can't say if it was something I did wrong (likely) or not since I
installed amd64 and the other install was 32 bit.

regards,

Klaus